Stuffed veggies are very much part of the Mediterranean diet especially in Greece. In our little village we tend to be given the extra peppers, tomatoes and other veggies when friends and neighbours have a glut in their gardens. This easy recipe for stuffed peppers is a great way to use sweet tasty red peppers.
This recipe for stuffed peppers is completely vegetarian though of course there are lots of recipes for stuffed veggies that involve meat I like these vegetarian stuffed peppers as a lighter change now and then.
I’m using two peppers here which can serve one as a main course or two as a side dish with something else like a pork chop, thus losing the vegetarian aspect but giving you some of your five-a-day and good taste too.
The ingredients are simple, just the peppers, tomatoes, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, breadcrumbs, seasoning plus dried and fresh herbs. Oil for cooking in the oven and that’s it. Simple easy stuffed peppers.
- 2 red peppers
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped feta cheese
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh mint, basil and coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove seeds
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl
- Stuff this mixture into the peppers and pop on the lids
- Place in a baking tray where they fit together snugly and pour over a little oil
- Bake for 25 mins