I love stuffed peppers and puttanesca sauce so why not combine them in this stuffed peppers puttanesca with feta recipe. It’s super quick and easy to make and is the perfect low carb midweek meal served with a salad or some spinach leaves.
These stuffed peppers are just so bright and colourful. They make me feel happy just by looking at them. The smell of them as you bring them out of the oven is truly amazing.
Deeply aromatic they have your tummy rumbling before you even get the plates out.
Basically I have used the ingredients for the classic Italian puttanesca sauce and turned it into a stuffed pepper dish. Puttanesca translates as ‘lady of the night’ and we all know what that means. And the sauce originates in Naples, the home of pizza of course.
Ingredients for these stuffed peppers puttanesca with feta
Red bell peppers as the base
A lot of people fear the tiny anchovy. It gets a bad press but it’s a terrific little fish that adds loads of flavour to any dish. Especially dishes with tomatoes involved. Honestly, you don’t taste anything fishy at all. The anchovies dissolve completely into a beautifully aromatic oil as they cook. They add a fabulous punch of flavour that is well worth getting over any prejudice you might have.
How to make these stuffed peppers
It is a simple case of cutting the peppers in half so you have two boats, cleaning out membranes and seeds then packing in all your ingredients listed above plus some black pepper.
Anchovies are salty little devils so check first before adding extra salt after they are cooked.
Place your stuffed peppers in an oven-proof dish making sure they are nestled nicely together so they don’t just fall over. Add a little water to the dish and pop them in the oven to roast.
Are these stuffed peppers healthy?
You bet they are. They are low on carbohydrates and high in vitamins and all sorts of good oils. Perfect for anyone following the Mediterranean diet.
How to serve stuffed peppers
I like to serve mine just with some salad leaves and crusty bread on the side to mop up all those gorgeous juices. You could add some couscous or rice if you fancy or even a baked potato.
Looking for more stuffed veggie recipes? Then here are some of my favourites;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Stuffed peppers puttanesca with feta
- 2 red bell peppers halved top to bottom and seeds removed
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp black and green olives
- 4 anchovy fillets from a jar in oil and snipped into small pieces
- 4 tbsp feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- black pepper and a little salt but remember that both anchovies and feta are already salty
- Preheat the oven to 200C and look out an oven proof dish that the peppers fit quite snugly
- Place the peppers into the dish and add the tomato halves, 2 to each pepper
- divide up all the other ingredients and add them equally to the pepper halves and add some seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil on top
- pour a little water in the bottom of the dish and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are soft
- Serve the stuffed peppers with salad leaves and crusty bread to mop up the juices