Lamb stuffed cabbage leaves are comfort food to me. They give you the welcome illusion of spring time with the vibrant green colour of the cabbage leaves, but the warming spicy minced lamb inside is sheer winter warmer stuff. A great combination at this time of year or any time for that matter really.
This recipe serves 2 but you can just double it up etc to suit the number of folks you are catering for. Like all my recipes this is easy to make and doesn’t take much effort at all. Cooking should be easy and fun, gone are the days of slaving over a hot stove for hours on end unless it’s something you really want to do or are making something really special for a big occasion. Slaving, hell no, this is easy and fun!
I’ve used lamb mince in my lamb stuffed cabbage leaves but really you could use any minced meat you like, beef, pork or even turkey, the choice is yours, the taste will be marvelous!
For 2 servings you’ll need 400g/14 oz of lamb mince, 1 small onion and 1 small carrot, a clove of garlic, half a red pepper, 1 celery stick, 1/2 courgette, 1/2 tsp fresh chilli, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 4 tbsp tomato puree, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp orange zest and of course those all important cabbage leaves. I used a Savoy cabbage.
Make sure all your veggies are chopped into small pieces and saute the mince first till browned. Remove from pan and saute the onion for 5 mins then add the garlic for 2 mins then all the other ingredients for 5 mins and then the mince, add a little water if necessary and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Steam your cabbage leaves for 5 mins till tender and bright green.
Take tablespoons of the mince mixture and place on a cabbage leaf and roll up, do this with all the remaining leaves and ingredients. I used 4 leaves, 2 per person. Best to steam a couple of extra leaves in case you tear them, but honestly who cares anyway.
Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- 400g/14 oz lamb mince
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- ½ courgette finely chopped
- ½ tsp chopped fresh chilli
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 Savoy cabbage leaves
- salt & pepper
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Saute the mince in a little olive oil till browned then remove from pan and set aside
- Add a little more oil to the pan and saute onion for 5 mins then add garlic for 2 mins
- Add all other ingredients (apart from the cabbage leaves) and saute for 5 mins then add the mince and a little water if required, season well and simmer for 2--30 mins
- Steam the cabbage leaves for 5 mins till tender and bright green
- Spoon mince mixture on to cabbage leaves and roll up
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt