Stuffed vegetables are very popular in Greece, from courgettes (and their flowers) to aubergines, peppers and of course tomatoes. My super simple prawn stuffed tomato dish is my wee fishy take on a Greek classic.
The best big tomatoes
I love tomatoes so have always thought the idea of stuffing them with other foodie goodies was a totally natural thing to do. I just wish I could grow those gorgeous big beefy tomatoes you get on every market stall in Greece. Here in Ayrshire on top of Walton’s Mountain just ain’t the perfect location and what we get in the supermarket is not a patch on the real Greek thing.
Having said all that, stuffing tomatoes whatever the type will pack them with flavour and make even the blandest to tomatoes into a culinary delight.
The above photo shows the harbour in Agia Galini, can’t wait to go back…..
This recipe for prawn stuffed tomatoes serves two so just up the amounts for more servings.
For me this is a nice healthy supper dish with a side salad or as a stand-alone lunch.
Easy to make
It is so easy to make, really just a case of whipping off the tops of the tomatoes, removing the insides and chopping the flesh (discard the seeds) and mixing with the other ingredients. Top with the cheese, pop on the tomato top lids and bake in the oven.
Kali Orexi !
Prawn Stuffed Tomatoes
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 20 prawns chopped peeled and precooked
- 4 spring onions finelu chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh chilli minced
- 2 tbsp chopped spinach
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the inner flesh.
- Chop the flesh but discard the seeds.
- Mix chopped tomato flesh with all other ingredients (apart from the cheese)
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and top with the cheese then add the tomato top lids
- Place the tomatoes in a high sided baking tray that fits them as closely as possible, add 1cm water to dish and bake in oven for 25 mins.
- Serve on a bed of spinach or with a salad on the side.