These Greek stuffed tomatoes with prawns are packed with flavour and a meal in themselves. And with their stuffing of prawns, spinach, chilli, herbs and feta they are a lighter version of Yemista. It’s the Mediterranean on a plate, Greek comfort food at it’s best.
‘Yemista’ (gemista) or stuffed vegetables are a staple of the Greek diet. With everything from courgettes (and their flowers) to aubergines, peppers and of course tomatoes being stuffed with rice, meat and vegetables.
My super simple prawn stuffed tomato dish is a lighter version of this classic Greek comfort food as it doesn’t contain any rice.
Instead, I have chopped spinach with the prawns and some feta to make up the stuffing of these juicy tomatoes.
The best big tomatoes
I love tomatoes so have always thought the idea of stuffing them with other foodie goodies was a totally natural thing to do. I just wish I could grow those gorgeous big beefy tomatoes you get on every market stall in Greece.
Here in Ayrshire on top of Walton’s Mountain just ain’t the perfect location and what we get in the supermarket is not a patch on the real Greek thing.
Having said all that, stuffing tomatoes whatever the type will pack them with flavour and make even the blandest to tomatoes into a culinary delight.
Ingredients for these stuffed tomatoes
- Beefsteak tomatoes (or the biggest tomatoes you can get)
- spring onions
- fresh dill
- dried oregano
- feta cheese
How to make Greek stuffed tomatoes
It is so easy to make, really just a case of whipping off the tops of the tomatoes, removing the insides and chopping the flesh (discard the seeds) and mixing with the other ingredients. Top with the cheese, pop on the tomato top lids and bake in the oven.
How many does this recipe serve?
This recipe for prawn stuffed tomatoes serves two so just up the amounts for more servings.
How to serve these stuffed tomatoes
For me this is a nice healthy supper dish with a side salad or as a stand-alone lunch.
However, you could serve these prawn stuffed tomatoes as part of a traditional Greek style mezze platter with other Greek goodies like these;
Healthy Mediterranean diet
This easy recipe ticks all the boxes for the super healthy Mediterranean diet. It’s low carb, plenty of protein and packed with veggie goodness.
Kali Orexi !
Looking for more great Greek stuffed vegetables? Then check these out;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Greek Stuffed Tomatoes With Prawns
- 2 large tomatoes beefsteak tomatoes
- 20 prawns chopped, peeled and precooked
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli minced
- 4 tbsp spinach chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the inner flesh.
- Chop the flesh but discard the seeds.
- Mix chopped tomato flesh with all other ingredients (apart from the cheese)
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and top with the cheese then add the tomato top lids
- Place the tomatoes in a high sided baking tray that fits them as closely as possible, add 1cm water to dish and bake in oven for 25 mins.
- Serve on a bed of spinach or with a salad on the side.