These simple yet delicious steak toasts make great party food but are just as good served as a light lunch dish too. Think Scottish version of Italian bruschetta!
It’s Burn’s Night next week and everyone will be diving into the haggis, quaffing whisky and quoting Burns as best they can after sinking too much of the golden juice.
I thought these steak toasts would make a nice wee change if you are having friends round for a few drinks and want to have something different on Burn’s Night.
Scottish Party Food
This simple recipe for steak toasts comes from my cookbook A Wee Taste Of Scotland which is full of traditional Scottish recipes that I have reworked to be party food.
When I have people round for drinks and nibbles I love to do things that are pretty substantial and soak up the booze on offer but they also have to be super easy to make.
While I enjoy cooking and prepping up food in the kitchen, I don’t like to be trapped there all day getting things ready for a party. Give me easy recipes that I can pull together quickly so I can have time to chill out and get myself into party mode.
Scotland is well known for her beef, especially the wondrous Aberdeen Angus beef and that’s what I’ve used in this easy recipe.
I’ve also used my Highlander Mustard which is on this blog, you can use any other mustard but this one has whisky in it so ticks another Scottish box.
Mayonnaise (you can make your own foolproof mayonnaise from this super easy recipe)
Salad leaves of choice and thinly sliced red onion
Wholemeal bread to toast as your bases.
Making steak toasts
First toast your bread
Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard to a smooth creamy paste and spread this on the toast
Sear the steak in a hot pan till it is cooked to your liking then set it aside on a plate to rest. Slice into 6 pieces.
Add the steak slices to the prepared toasts and top with your salad leaves and red onion slices.
These steak toasts are also great just as a simple supper dish if you make them full size instead of bite-sized as I have done here. This recipe makes six bite-sized steak toasts, just up the ingredients for more to suit your needs.
Looking for more super easy Scottish inspired party food ideas? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
- 6 slices bread wholemeal bread
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 150 g beef fillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup salad leaves
- 6 slices red onion
- sea and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut each slice into 2 pieces and toast for approximately 1 minute under a hot grill till golden on both sides.
- Mix the mustard with mayonnaise and spread evenly on each slice of toast.
- Heat a heavy based pan and brush the meat with the olive oil.
- Sear beef in hot pan for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan, cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the beef into 6 slices and arrange on the prepared toasts.
- Top with the salad leaves and onion slices.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, chilli and oregano and place in a small bowl for guests to season their own toasts, or just sprinkle on top yourself to save on a bit of washing-up!