Scotch eggs are a staple for picnics in summer time, they are handy food in the true sense of the word, everything packed into one piece, no mess. These mini Scotch eggs are made with quails eggs and are perfect for picnics and parties.
This recipe for mini Scotch eggs is from my own cookbook A Wee Taste Of Scotland which is packed with fun Scottish party food recipes.
I use quail’s eggs for this recipe, I love these little eggs, my daughter used to adore them when she was little and ask for them for her bear’s picnics. Not sure that the bears or other toys ever ate them but all I ever got was a pile of shells to clear up so I suspect she loved them then as much as she does nowadays.
This recipe makes 12 mini Scotch eggs and the only other ingredients you will need are a couple of good quality sausages, fresh thyme, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan (love adding the parmesan to give the outer shell a bit of flavour too) to roll them in and oil to deep fry.
These mini Scotch eggs are super easy to make and are the perfect picnic or party fodder.
MINI SCOTCH EGGS
- 12 quails eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 4 thick sausages with skin removed
- 100 g/3 1/2oz breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Boil the quails eggs for 2 minutes, plunge into cold water to stop cooking and peel
- Mix thyme and seasoning with sausage meat and divide into 12 pieces
- Flatten out and roll around the eggs
- In bowl mix parmesan and breadcrumbs
- Roll the balls in the crumb mix
- Heat oil in a high sided pan to 350F/180C and fry the Scotch Eggs in batches for approx 2 mins till golden