Read on for my recipe for mini Scotch eggs
Scotch eggs are a staple for picnics in summer time, they are handy food in the true sense of the word. Everything packed into one piece, no mess. This mini version are made with quails eggs and are perfect for picnics and parties.
A wee taste of Scotland
This recipe for mini Scotch eggs is from my own cookbook A Wee Taste Of Scotland which is packed with fun Scottish party food recipes.
I use quail’s eggs for this recipe. I love these little eggs, my daughter used to adore them when she was little and ask for them for her bear’s picnics. Not sure that the bears or other toys ever ate them but all I ever got was a pile of shells to clear up so I suspect she loved them then as much as she does nowadays.
- 12 quail eggs
- good quality sausage meat
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
Super easy to make
These mini Scotch eggs are super easy to make and are the perfect picnic or party fodder.
Here are some other fun Scottish party food ideas you might like to try. Just click on the image to zap to the recipe
MINI SCOTCH EGGS
- 12 quails eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 4 thick sausages with skin removed
- 100 g/3 1/2oz breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Boil the quails eggs for 2 minutes, plunge into cold water to stop cooking and peel
- Mix thyme and seasoning with sausage meat and divide into 12 pieces
- Flatten out and roll around the eggs
- In bowl mix parmesan and breadcrumbs
- Roll the balls in the crumb mix
- Heat oil in a high sided pan to 350F/180C and fry the Scotch Eggs in batches for approx 2 mins till golden
PIN ME FOR LATER