It’s party time! Although we have graduated from the dreaded cheese and pineapple/pickled onions on sticks hedgehog things from the 1970s sometimes coming up with party food ideas can be daunting and we head for the supermarket and a lot of over priced stuff instead. My prawn and bacon skewers are super easy to make and taste fabulous.
This super easy recipe for prawn and bacon skewers is from my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland which is packed with Scottish inspired party food recipes that will make any party go with a swing. There is everything from sweet to savoury nibbles as well as cocktails, dips and other goodies too.
All you need are nice big prawns, streaky bacon,baby mushrooms, sage leaves, little mini wooden skewers that you can buy in party supply shops, many supermarkets and online too, plus oil to fry them in. This recipe makes just 6 prawn and bacon skewers but you can just double it up to make more.
You can serve your prawn and bacon skewers as they are or with a dipping sauce like my own Aioli (garlic mayonnaise) on the side or why not try my whisky mayonnaise for a real touch of Scottish magic for Hogmanay. However you serve them these little skewers are perfect party fodder.
Have a good New Year!
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 6 raw prawns
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 6 button mushrooms
- Oil for frying
- Small wooden skewers
- Remove the rind from the bacon and flatten with the back of a knife then cut rasher in half crossways
- Peel and devein the prawns
- Place one sage leaf on each prawn then wrap in bacon
- Skewer with mushroom
- Heat oil in deep pan and fry the mini kebabs until the bacon is golden and prawns are pink, approx 3 mins
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve with a tasty mayonnaise (see seared salmon recipe)