This rich and creamy carrot and cauliflower soup is packed with fabulously spicy flavours, is super healthy and so easy to make. It’s real comfort food at its best.
Why you’ll love this soup recipe
- Although my carrot and cauliflower soup is seriously rich and creamy there is no dairy in it at all, so it’s a healthy soup and low in calories too.
- This is a super easy recipe and a great way to use up leftover veggies in the fridge.
- My cauliflower and carrot soup recipe is versatile, chop and change those spices to suit yourself, or keep it totally simple with just salt and pepper and no spices at all.
- I love a cheap recipe and winter veggies like carrots are always inexpensive.
This creamy carrot and cauliflower soup is one of those soups that’s like a hug in a mug. It’s curl up by the fire, feet up in front of the telly or snuggled down with a good book sort of comfort food, this is slow down and take some time to yourself soup. I think you get the picture here….
Ingredients for carrot and cauliflower soup
Carrots and cauliflower are the stars of the show in this recipe of course.
You’ll also want While I often make carrot soup with a few additions and quirks I hadn’t actually tried combining carrot with cauliflower in a soup just those two together and not going into the all-out vegetable soup.
Spices – I’ve used whole spices; coriander seeds, peppercorns, cardamom pods and cumin seeds plus turmeric powder.
Of course, you can use powdered spices or a spice blend instead. I’ve made my carrot and cauliflower soup using Harissapaste (I like to make my own homemade harissa paste) and also homemade curry powder.
Other ingredients are onion, garlic and celery to make a good flavour base for my soup and some vegetable stock.
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Making this cream of carrot and cauliflower soup couldn’t be easier. It’s a basic saute the onions, garlic and celery and add the other veggies recipe.
However, I like to put in an extra step first. I use whole spices and I dry roast them first to release their flavour then grind them up with the onion and then start my recipe. Doing this really adds a depth of flavour to the carrot and cauliflower soup which is amazing.
This extra step is totally optional and you can just add powdered spices when you are sauteing the onion and celery at the start of the recipe.
Add the chopped up cauliflower and carrots to the pan plus your stock, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
Use a stick blender to whizz everything up and you will have the creamiest carrot and cauliflower soup in about half an hour from start to finish.
Serving carrot and cauliflower soup
I like this soup really thick (as you can see in the photos), a real meal in itself with some crusty bread on the side. However, if you want a silkier thinner version just add more stock or a little water.
This carrot and cauliflower soup has such a rich a creamy consistency yet there is no cream in there. Feel free to add a swirl of Greek yogurt when serving or even cream if you like.
This soup will keep in the fridge for up to four days. Want to keep it for longer, then simply freeze it for up to six months.
So read on for the recipe, definitely one to add to your repertoire of comfort foods.
Looking for more super easy and tasty soup ideas? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Easy Cream Of Carrot And Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- Dry roast all your spices in a pan for just about a minute until they are aromatic
- Immediately remove from heat and grind in a mortar and pestle
- Heat oil in a pot and saute the onion for 3 minutes along with the ground spices
- Add the garlic for a further 2 minutes.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and use the stalks too and add this along with celery and carrots and cook for a few minutes more
- Add the vegetable stock
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes till all the veggies are tender.
- Whizz with a stick blender till smooth and season to taste.