Simple scones, traditional tea table fair and very much a Scottish staple really. While scones come in all different types from cheese or fruit to treacle, these simple scones are the basics and simple is very often best.
This recipe for simple scones comes from my book Simply Scottish Cakes & Bakes which you can find on my book page. Once into that you’ll find yourself baking up a storm and have a kitchen liberally covered in flour and yourself at least half a stone heavier if you eat all your lovely bakes. I certainly put on that much weight and more when I was writing the book.
Anyway back to those scones. There aren’t many ingredients so you really can’t go far wrong with this one. You just need self raising flour, a pinch of salt, chilled butter, an egg and some milk.
You want your butter to be chilled so you can rub it in with the flour, sugar and salt to get a nice breadcrumb like mixture before adding the egg and milk which you whisk together first.
Mix, roll and cut out then bake. Making scones is easy and homemade scones always taste far better than any you can buy in the shops. Once you have made them once you’ll be whipping them up on a regular basis, a great way to show off your lovely homemade jams and jellies that you’ll find all over this blog, just check out my sweet preserves section for loads of ideas.
Of course the traditional way to serve scones is with cream and jam as you do in a cream tea. Go on, go for it, forget the calories and just enjoy!
- 225 g/8oz self raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 90 g/3oz chilled unsalted butter diced
- 1 egg
- 50 ml/2fl oz milk
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F and line a baking tray with paper
- Sift flour, salt and sugar into large bowl and gently rub in the butter with fingertips to make breadcrumb like mixture
- In separate bowl whisk egg with milk
- Stir in the eggy milk till you get a workable dough and tip out on to floured surface
- Roll out to 3-4cm (1 ½”) thick and cut into rounds
- Bake for 12 mins or until golden and cool on wire rack (makes 10)
- Serve with cream and jam