If you want a wee touch of Scottish style to finish off your supper party then my Whisky Granita is the way to go. Light and tasty it’s just the thing after a good meal.
Its Burn’s Night in just two days. Now with all that whisky flowing you’d think there was no need to serve the golden juice as a dessert in this Whisky Granita, but why the hell not!
You can never have too much of a good thing as my Mum used to say, so drink it and eat it too in the case of whisky.
Ingredients for whisky granita
- You’ll need a nice sipping Scotch (always cook with booze that you’d actually like to drink, don’t use cheapo stuff but also don’t pinch your husbands 21 year old single malt for this)
- Crabbies Green Ginger wine or a ginger cordial if you prefer
- the juice of a lemon
- some water and lemon pieces to decorate.
- Look, no sugar, isn’t that healthy!!!! Well, let’s be honest here, the Ginger wine/ginger syrup does have enough sugar in there for sweetness.
You can vary the measurements in this recipe to make your Whisky Granita as strong as you like, just make sure nobody has to drive home after a couple of these.
How to make whisky granita
All you do is mix your granita ingredients together and pour into a shallow box and pop into the freezer.
Then you can either bring it out after 30 minutes and fork it through then pop back in and do the same thing again twice more before leaving the whisky granita for longer till you need it.
Alternatively, if you can’t be bothered with the forking just leave in freezer till solid then whip it out and pulse in food processor till you get the consistency you want. I personally prefer the first method of granita making.
However you choose to make your whisky granita you are sure to enjoy it on Burn’s Night or New Year’s Eve (Hogmannay).
By the way, this recipe is from my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland, available here and packed with over 50 great recipes for Scottish themed party food.
Looking for more delicious Scottish inspired desserts to try at home? Then check these out before you go;
- 100 ml whisky
- 50 ml Crabbies Green Ginger Wine/ Ginger Cordial
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100 ml water
- lemon slices to serve
- Mix all ingredients (apart from the little pieces of lemon) in a shallow box
- Freeze for 30 minutes then run through with a fork. Refreeze and do the same thing another 2 times then leave in freezer till you want to serve.
- Alternatively you can just freeze then pulse in food processor when frozen.
- Serve in 6 little whisky glasses topped with a liece of lemon