Roasting vegetables helps to bring out their amazing flavour and this roasted aubergine/eggplant soup is a prime example of just how well worth the extra few minutes to roast the veggies first can make to the overall flavour of a dish.
Roasted Aubergine/Eggplant Soup
Like all good soups, this aubergine soup is a hug in a mug. It’s comforting, warming and healthy too; a great way to start the New Year. Soup is my go-to lunch throughout the winter months and I’m always trying new ideas and recipes. With it’s aubergines, peppers and oregano and thyme this is a bit of a Greek style soup and is rather apt since I’m lucky enough to be off to lovely Crete this weekend for a few weeks. Since I can’t take you with me I’ll share this roasted aubergine soup recipe instead, enjoy…..
Get roasting those veggies
This roasted aubergine soup is so tasty and packed with goodness but is really easy to make. The only time consuming bit is roasting the aubergines and other veggies to get that gorgeous nutty toasty flavour from them, but let’s face it, all you’re doing is popping them in the oven while you can go off an do something else for half an hour.
This recipe is for 2 people but you can just double it etc to make as much as you want.
Ingredients for this soup
2 red peppers
2 cloves of garlic
500ml of vegetable stock
a tablespoon each of dried thyme and oregano.
How to make roasted aubergine soup
- All you have to do is slice the aubergine in half length-ways, add the whole peppers to oven tray, peel and chop onion into quarters, peel garlic cloves and chop chilli in half lengthwise and remove membrane, seeds and stalk.
- Scatter the veggies on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and half of the herbs.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 30 minutes till everything is soft.
- Scoop flesh from the aubergine and discard skin, remove stalks and skin from peppers and discard.
- Toss everything into a food processor and give it a good whazz.
- Pour into a pan and add the stock and remaining herbs. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread.
Want more great soup ideas? Then check out some of these spoonable goodies;
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this roasted aubergine soup recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone just as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love, then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pnterest and sign up for my free newsletter too.
Roasted Aubergine/eggplant Soup
- 1 aubergine
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 500 ml/1 pint vegetable stock
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and place cut side down in large baking tray
- Add the red peppers
- Cut chilli lengthways and remove seeds and membranes and stalk and add to baking tray
- Peel the onion and cut into qarters and add
- Peel cloves of garlic and add to baking tray
- Add half of the herbs and a good glug of olive oil
- Bake in oven for approx 30 mins till everything soft and tender
- Remove skin from aubergine and peppers and discard
- Whazz everything in food processor then ladle into a pan
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Season to taste