This Greek inspired cream of courgette/zucchini soup with feta is the perfect winter warmer that will have you thinking of summer sunshine with every spoonful of this rich and aromatic soup.
Cream of courgette/zucchini soup with feta
There is definitely a nip in the air here in Scotland. The leaves are turning and Autumn is in the air. It’s soup time and this super simple Greek inspired courgette soup with feta is just perfect to have a bit of summer sunshine in a bowl when it’s raining outside.
You say zucchini, I say courgette!
Courgettes or zucchini are a popular vegetable all over the Mediterranean and in Greece they appear in all sorts of dishes from the baked vegetable Briam to being served stuffed with rice or meat, even the flowers are served stuffed as well.
I’ve used them as the base for this simple courgette and feta soup recipe and have just used the standard green courgettes that are always available in the supermarket.
Ingredients for this courgette/zucchini soup
Courgettes/zucchini are your base plus onion and garlic. There is also celery and potato in there.
Smoked pork or bacon lardons add a real depth of flavour to this courgette soup.
For herbs there is dried oregano (it has a better flavour than fresh oregano) plus fresh parsley and dill.
Vegetable or chicken stock and some feta cheese to serve
Make this vegetarian by simply omitting the lardons and using vegetable stock.
How many servings does this recipe make
I got 4 servings of soup with this recipe. Just double it up etc to feed a crowd.
Can you freeze this courgette soup
Yes, simply cool the soup as quickly as possible then pack into freezer-proof box (I prefer bags which I freeze flat to take up less space) and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost completely and reheat till piping hot.
When you are making this recipe hold back a little of the smoked pork/pancetta/lardons, feta, fresh parsley and dill to garnish your courgette and feta soup with.
This isn’t just for a pretty presentation but also gives you a lovely change of textures when you are eating and makes the whole thing a bit more of an event in a bowl and all food should be an event, something special whether you are eating with family and friends or on your own.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Then check out these delicious spoonable ideas;
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this courgette/zucchini soup with feta recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love, then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my free newsletter too.
Courgette/zucchini And Feta Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 75 g/3oz smoked pork/pancetta/lardons
- 125 g/4 oz potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 500 g/1 lb 2 oz courgettes chopped
- 700 ml/1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz feta cheese
- black pepper to taste
- Fry the onions in the olive oil for 10 minutes
- Add the garlic for 1 minute
- Add lardons for 2 minutes then add the chopped celery, potatoes and courgettes and herbs
- Add stock and bring to the boil then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile fry remaining lardons and set aside along with some of the feta, parsley and dill to garnish
- Add the feta and whizz with a stick blender
- Add black pepper to taste, you shouldn't need salt as the feta is already salty.
- Serve with the prepared garnish