There is definitely a nip in the air here in Scotland. The leaves are turning and Autumn is in the air. It’s soup time and this super simple Greek inspired courgette soup with feta is just perfect to have a bit of summer sunshine in a bowl when it’s raining outside.
You say zuchini, I say courgette!
Courgettes or zucchini are a popular vegetable all over the Mediterranean and in Greece they appear in all sorts of dishes from the baked vegetable Briam to being served stuffed with rice or meat, even the flowers are served stuffed as well.
I’ve used them as the base for this simple courgette and feta soup recipe and have just used the standard green courgettes that are always available in the supermarket.
When you are making this recipe hold back a little of the smoked pork/pancetta/lardons, feta, fresh parsley and dill to garnish your courgette and feta soup with. This isn’t just for a pretty presentation but also gives you a lovely change of textures when you are eating and makes the whole thing a bit more of an event in a bowl and all food should be an event, something special whether you are eating with family and friends or on your own.
Courgette And Feta Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 75 g/3oz smoked pork/pancetta/lardons
- 125 g/4 oz potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 500 g/1 lb 2 oz courgettes chopped
- 700 ml/1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz feta cheese
- black pepper to taste
- Fry the onions in the olive oil for 10 minutes
- Add the garlic for 1 minute
- Add lardons for 2 minutes then add the chopped celery, potatoes and courgettes and herbs
- Add stock and bring to the boil then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile fry remaining lardons and set aside along with some of the feta, parsley and dill to garnish
- Add the feta and whizz with a stick blender
- Add black pepper to taste, you shouldn't need salt as the feta is already salty.
- Serve with the prepared garnish
PIN ME FOR LATER