I’m using up bits and pieces in the fridge with this deliciously rich and creamy curried cauliflower soup. The super simple kale crisps add a delightful crunch and super healthy extra to this tasty soup. Just what we all need just now, make do with what we have in the house and create something truly amazing.
Why you’ll love this soup recipe
- This is a super simple curried cauliflower soup recipe that comes together quickly too using basic store-cupboard ingredients.
- Thick and hearty, this cauliflower soup is a meal in its own right.
- This is a versatile recipe. Fancy a veggie curry? Then make this curried cauliflower soup thicker and serve it with rice!
- This is budget-friendly cooking at its best.
I know it’s March and we should be thinking all springy thoughts and imagining summer ahead but it’s cold here. Spring hasn’t sprung in the weather department and in my book that means it is still comfort food time. By that I mean soup time!
Having said that soup is a staple in my kitchen all year round from hearty and chunky winter soups to light summer broths and chilled soups too.
So today it’s a soup recipe and this spicy curried cauliflower soup is at least a nice bright colour for spring!
Ingredients for this curried cauliflower soup
- Cauliflower and potatoes are the base for this rich and creamy soup.
- An onion as it always seems to be in just about every recipe.
- Kale, lots of kale here, remember kale is good for you!
- Coconut milk for that rich and creamy curry that is all part and parcel of this delicious cauliflower soup.
- Curry spice blend plus some extra turmeric. Do you know just how good that spice is for you. Turmeric is amazing stuff.
- Vegetable stock. Or use chicken stock if you like.
I’m double dosing on the kale here, there is kale in the cauliflower soup itself and there are kale crisps on top. Unlike the dreaded double denim look this is one that works.
Don’t just use the cauliflower florets and throw away the cauliflower stalks. Chop these finely and add to this curried cauliflower soup too.
For the curry hit in this soup I like to use my own curry spice blend that I made on the blog ages ago. Feel free to use any curry spice blend you like.
Turmeric gives this curried cauliflower soup its fabulous colour and has a great taste too. Oh, and is just so damn good for you.
Coconut milk is so creamy and a little sweet it adds a richness that pairs well with the spices.
I like to finish this curry spiced cauliflower potato soup with a bit of texture. For this I make some tasty kale crisps and eat all the extras.
Kale crisps are just something I throw together when I fancy a healthy snack. It wasn’t until I mentioned kale crisps to a friend lately and they didn’t know what they were that I thought maybe I should put the simple recipe up here.
How to make kale crisps
All you need to do to make kale crisps is get a bag of kale and discard the thick chunky stalks.
Then rub olive oil, salt and pepper well into the kale. You’re not just doing this to help roast the kale but to actually tenderise it too. If you want to use kale in a salad it is always wise to massage it with olive oil first to make it more palatable.
Lay the seasoned and oiled kale on a baking tray and sprinkle with some dried chilli flakes and pop it into a preheated oven at 200C for about 10 minutes till crispy and a little bit charred.
How to make curried cauliflower soup
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes
Stir in the spices for 1 minute then add the cauliflower and potato and mix well
Pour in the coconut milk and stock and cover and simmer for 20 minutes
Add the kale and simmer for 10 minutes more
Use a stick blender/immersion blender to blend the soup. I like to keep my curried cauliflower soup a bit chunky for texture.
How to serve curried cauliflower soup
Serve this deliciously creamy cauliflower soup with your kale crisps and some mixed nuts and seeds for extra crunch.
Keep this soup really thick and you can serve it with rice as a vegetarian cauliflower curry.
This curried cauliflower soup will keep for about 4 days in the fridge. You can freeze it for up to 6 months.
So there you have it. Another tasty and easy to make soup to add to your repertoire. Hope you enjoy it.
Looking for more easy and delicious soup recipes to try? Then check these out before you go:
Super easy curried cauliflower soup with kale crisps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 1 medium cauliflower chopped
- 1 potato chopped skin on
- 1 cup kale
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g can coconut milk
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups kale
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- saute the onion in the oil in a pan for 5 minutes then add the spices to combine
- add the cauliflower and potato and stir well
- pour in the stock and coconut milk stir well and simmer for 20 minutes
- add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes
- blitz with a hand blender but leave some texture and season to taste
- preheat oven to 200C
- Remove stalks from kale and massage olive oil and seasoning into kale
- set out on a baking tray and sprinkle with chilli flakes
- bake in oven for approximately 10 minutes till crispy and charred
- serve the soup with some kale crisps on top and a sprinkling of mixed nuts and seeds