I’m using up bits and pieces in the fridge with this curried cauliflower potato and kale soup. It’s a fridge foraging and store cupboard recipe. Just what we all need just now, make do with what we have in the house.
Curried Cauliflower Potato and Kale Soup
I know it’s March and we should be thinking all springy thoughts and imagining summer ahead but it’s cold here. Spring hasn’t sprung in the weather department and in my book that means it is still comfort food time. By that I mean soup time! Having said that soup is a staple in my kitchen all year round from hearty and chunky winter soups to light summer broths and chilled soups too. So today it’s a soup recipe and this spicy soup is at least a nice bright colour for spring!
You just can’t beat a good vegetable soup can you? They are just so good for you. Ticking all those boxes for that all important and vital 5-a-day without really having to think about it or try too hard. Although this curry spiced cauliflower potato and kale soup contains only four veggies (there is an onion in there too) it’s packed with flavour.
I’m double dosing on the kale here, this is a kale soup and there are kale crisps on top. Unlike the dreaded double denim look this is one that works.
Curried cauliflower potato and kale soup
For the curry hit in this soup I like to use my own curry spice blend that I made on the blog ages ago. Feel free to use any curry spice blend you like. Turmeric is used for it’s fabulous colour, great taste and the fact that is just so damn good for you. Because Coconut milk is so creamy and a little sweet it adds a richness that pairs well with the spices.
Kale crisps for kale soup!
I like to finish this curry spiced cauliflower potato and kale soup with a bit of texture. For this I make some tasty kale crisps and eat all the extras. Kale crisps are just something I throw together when I fancy a healthy snack. It wasn’t until I mentioned kale crisps to a friend lately and they didn’t know what they were that I thought maybe I should put the simple recipe up here.
How to make kale crisps
All you need to do to make kale crisps is get a bag of kale and discard the thick chunky stalks. Then rub olive oil, salt and pepper well into the kale. You’re not just doing this to help roast the kale but to actually tenderise it too. If you want to use kale in a salad it is always wise to massage it with olive oil first to make it more palatable.
Lay the seasoned and oiled kale on a baking tray and sprinkle with some dried chilli flakes and pop it into a preheated oven at 200C for about 10 minutes till crispy and a little bit charred.
Now back to that curried cauliflower potato and kale soup.
- 1 small onion diced
- a medium cauliflower cut into florets and stalks chopped too
- 1 potato chopped
- Handful of kale with any chunky stalks removed
- 1 tsp curry spice blend
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400g can of coconut milk
- 200ml vegetable (or chicken) stock
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes
- Stir in the spices for 1 minute
- Add the cauliflower and potato and mix well
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the kale and simmer for 10 minutes more
- Use stick blender to blend the soup. I like to keep mine a bit chunky for texture
Serve the curried cauliflower potato and kale soup with your kale crisps and some mixed nuts and seeds for extra crunch.
So there you have it. Another tasty and easy to make soup to add to your repertoire. Hope you enjoy it.
If you are a bit of a soup dragon then check out my other great Soup Recipes.
Please let me know what you think in the comments, I always like to hear from you. If you do make this and put images online do use @larderlove or #larderlove and I’ll look out for them.
Curry Spiced Cauliflower Potato and Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 1 medium cauliflower chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped (not peeled)
- handful of kale
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g can coconut milk
- 200 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bag of kale
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- saute the onion in the oil in a pan for 5 minutes
- add the spices and stir to combine
- add the cauliflower and potato and stir well
- pour in the stock and coconut milk stir well
- simmer for 20 minutes
- add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes
- blitz with a hand blender but leave some texture
- season to taste
- preheat oven to 200C
- massage olive oil and seasoning into kale
- set out on a baking tray and sprinkle with chilli flakes
- bake in oven for approximately 10 minutes till crispy and charred
- serve the soup with some kale crisps on top and a sprinkling of mixed nuts and seeds
PIN ME FOR LATER