With all the fabulous flavours of the Mediterranean, this delicious Mediterranean vegetable soup is rich and aromatic with the taste of sunshine in every spoonful. Plus it’s low calorie, low in carbs and super healthy too!
What’s to love about this soup recipe?
- This Mediterranean vegetable soup is super quick and easy to make, start to finish it’s all done in just half an hour.
- Healthy – the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest ways of eating in the world and this amazing soup ticks all those important healthy boxes
- Flavour, this Mediterranean veggie soup is just packed with the most amazing flavours, it’ll brighten up any day
- Vegetarian – we are all encouraged to go veggie and this delicious soup is just perfect, it’s a meal in a bowl and crammed full of gorgeous veggie goodness
My winter vegetable soup is always such a great hit I thought it was high time I shared my Mediterranean soup recipe with you.
It’s veggies all the way with this delicious Mediterranean soup recipe. Think of all those sunshine vegetables;
Courgettes/zucchini, aubergine/eggplant, onions, celery, tomatoes, garlic, tomatoes and peppers.
This Mediterranean soup is a rainbow of colours so use all colours of peppers if you have them available. The same applies to the baby tomatoes (of course you can use full-sized tomatoes instead if you like), get colourful.
Spinach and chickpeas are the other ingredients for this delicious soup, plus vegetable stock and Mediterranean herbs.
I’ve used dried rosemary, oregano and thyme and finished my Mediterranean vegetable soup off with some fresh basil leaves.
As I’ve said, this is a super quick recipe to make. Your Mediterranean vegetable soup will come together in half an hour.
The reason this soup is so quick to make is because you are using soft Mediterranean vegetables that cook quickly instead of the usual root veggies that take longer to soften up in a soup recipe.
Start by chopping your vegetables and try to get them all the same size, about a 1cm dice is just great.
If you cut all your vegetables the same size they will cook at roughly the same time. I do keep some of my courgette/zucchini aside and slice it into thin coins to add just at end of cooking so there is a bit of contrast in my Mediterranean soup.
Saute the onion and celery then add the garlic. After that it’s just a case of tossing in the majority of the diced veggies and your vegetable stock with the dried herbs and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
Now half the tomatoes, chuck them into the soup along with the chickpeas and add the spinach too. If you have done some courgette/zucchini coins throw them in now too.
Give your soup another 10 minutes and it’s done.
How to serve this soup
I like to add some toasted almonds (or pine nuts would be great here too), a few olives and some mozzarella balls/pearls to my Mediterranean vegetable soup. These add extra taste and texture to this amazing soup and another dimension to the taste too.
You could also add some pesto or pistou to your soup when you are serving it. Some parmesan cheese would be good too.
How many does this recipe serve?
I got 6 hearty servings of Mediterranean vegetable soup from this recipe. This is a thick soup so you can add extra stock or water if you want to make it go further.
Your Mediterranean veggie soup will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge or freeze it for up to 6 months.
I like to freeze my soups in plastic zip lock bags and lay them on a baking tray till frozen, then they are flat and take up less space in the freezer.
Looking for more tasty vegetable soup recipes? Then check these out before you go;
And here is my entire Soup Section where you’ll find lots more super soupy inspiration.
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Quick AndEasy Mediterranean Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 stick celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 courgette zucchini
- 1 aubergine eggplant
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oragano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 lt vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 200 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 400 g chickpeas canned
- 150 g spinach
- salt and pepper
- Saute the onion and celery for 2 minutes then add the garlic for 1 minute
- Add the diced vegetables and stock with the herbs and simmer for 15 minutes. Keep some of the courgette/zucchini and sllice into thin coins
- Add the halved tomatoes, spinach, courgette/zucchini cooins and chickpeas and cook for a further 10 minutes till everything is tender
- Serve the soup with mozzarella pearls, toasted pine nuts or almonds and basil leaves. Or with pesto and parmesan