Porridge is synonymous with Scotland, and that age old oaty mash is beloved of breakfasters worldwide. However you don’t just have to make porridge with the ubiquitous oat, you can use seeds and nuts like my Paleo Porridge or use up leftover brown basmati rice in this Rice Porridge I’ve made here.
This simple porridge ticks many boxes for me; it’s a great way to use up leftover rice, it’s healthy and filling, it’s easy and quick to make and it tastes great too. What more could you want first thing in the morning!
I’ve used brown basmati rice but you can of course use any cooked rice that you fancy. I soak my cooked rice overnight by covering it with almond milk and dropping in a few mixed berries like raspberries and blueberries, then leaving it in the fridge overnight.
In the morning I simply transfer it to a small pot and add a few drops of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of honey and heat for 5 minutes till piping hot.
Serve with a swirl of yogurt and maybe a sprinkling of crushed nuts and a few more berries to finish things off.
A quick and easy breakfast that will keep you going till lunch time.
- ¾ cup leftover cooked brown basmati rice
- 2 tbsp mixed berries
- ¾ cup almond milk
- few drops vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- serve with yogurt and more fruit and crushed nuts
- Soak the cooked rice overnight in the almond milk along with the berries
- In the morning transfer to small pan and add the vanilla extract and honey
- Heat for approximately 5 minutes until piping hot
- Serve with a swirl of plain yogurt and some extra berries and crushed nuts.till piping hot