Quinoa Porridge is a modern take on that old Scottish favourite porridge and a great way to start your day. While I love porridge I do like ringing the changes now and then so this quinoa version is a great alternative to the usual oats and is so easy to make.I got into quinoa quite a few years ago when I was going theough a health kick as I had all sorts of nasty tummy disorders and was determined to change my lifestyle and eat as healthily as possible.
Breakfast gotta be done!
Breakfast being the most important meal of the day became something of a mission for me. I wanted to have something different every day so started playing with the whole porridge thing and coming up with as many ways to make bowlfuls of goodness as I could.
I’d make this quinoa porridge if I had used quinoa in a recipe the night before. If you are cooking for one it is often just as easy to make extra on anything and just store it for later use. This quinoa is a case in point. While I might have had it on the side with chicken etc the night before I could now use it as the star of the show the next morning.
The only other ingredients you need is a few drops of vanilla extract, some almond milk, ground cinnamon, toasted flaked almonds and Greek yogurt to serve. You can even make your own Greek style yogurt here.
So get your day off to a great start with this super easy quinoa porridge.
- 1 tbasp flaked almonds
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- a few drops vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp grund cinnamon plus extra to sprinkle
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt to serve
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry pan for abour 30 seconds until they smell gorgeously nutty and have taken on a bit of golden colour
- Mix together the almond milk with cooked quinoa, vanilla extract and most of the cinnamon
- Heat through for 5 minutes
- Serve with a dollop of Grek ogurt and a sprinkling of cinnamon and those toasted almond flakes on top