Some things stay with you all your life. Foodie memories like this chunky vegetable soup will take me home to Scotland and my parent’s house every time I taste it. It’s hearty and flavourful and oh so filling, everything a good soup should be.
What’s to love about this soup recipe?
- This chunky vegetable soup is super healthy and gives you lots of vitamins in one bowl
- Use almost any vegetables you like in this chunky vegetable soup recipe, get creative!
- It’s super easy to make, and we all love an easy recipe
Ingredients for this vegetable soup
Very often my soup making forays are merely a matter of foraging in the fridge and larder for bits and pieces I can throw together and hope to achieve a pot of pleasure that ticks lots of veggie boxes and feel-good ingredients too.
This chunky vegetable soup is typical of my kitchen hunting, it showcases the last singletons in the fridge;
that solo carrot, the last stick of celery, the lonesome leek and a courgette that just has to be used today.
I always have leafy greens like salad and kale lurking, so toss a couple of handfuls of kale in as well. A search under the sink produces a small onion and some garlic, one clove will be just fine.
The larder gives the other ingredients like a tin of tomatoes and a couple of spoonfuls of puree, some paprika, balsamic vinegar, a stock cube (I’ve used a vegetable one, though you can use chicken of course, the choice is yours) and some olive oil to start things off.
When all is done and cooked and created I will look to the windowsill and harvest the last of that basil plant and parsley to add that extra kick of flavour in the last few minutes of cooking. Then when ladled into a bowl and ready to eat I shall sprinkle on some parmesan shavings for my fridge is never without this flavoursome treat.
Hearty and simple
There is no delicacy in preparation or presentation with this simple chunky vegetable soup. It is rustic and hearty, full of goodness and character and does not require any sort of prettiness to sell itself as seriously good food.
Like the very best of people its goodness comes from within.
When the day starts grey and cold this is the soup to make to welcome home your family at the end of the day with great taste, colour and sheer goodness, and if you are holed up in the house on your own this one really is one hell of a hug in a mug!
Serving this soup
This chunky vegetable soup is a meal in itself with a good piece of crunch rustic bread. I like to add some shavings of Parmesan cheese and a few leaves of parsley and basil on top.
This chunky vegetable soup will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge and freezes well too for up to 6 months.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Chunky Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 courgette chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stick stick celery chopped
- 1 leek white and green parts
- 600 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 handfulls kale
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp parmesan shavings to serve
- salt and papper to taste
- Heat the oil gently in a large pan and add the chopped oinion.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add the garlic for another 2 minutes.
- Add the courgette, carrot, leek and celery and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, tomatoes and puree and stir to mix and add the kale.
- Cover the pot and let it all simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika and balsamic vinegar and season to taste.
- Toss in the fresh herbas and cook for just 5 minutes more.
- Serve with shavings of parmesan cheese and a few extra herb leaves.