Pea soup always makes me think of springtime, adding lentils for this pea and lentil soup makes it a heartier and more substantial soup. Rich, creamy and filling, just perfect for winter too.
Why you’ll love this soup recipe
- This pea and lentil soup is so cheap to make with real store cupboard basics like frozen peas.
- Healthy eating – my pea and lentil soup is packed with goodness, high in fibre and low in calories.
- It’s an easy recipe and super quick too, with your pea and lentil soup being ready in about half an hour from start to finish.
I love making soup, it takes me right back to how I first learned to cook helping my Mum by kneeling on a stool in the kitchen chopping up veggies for the soup she made every couple of days throughout the autumn and winter months.
There was always soup for lunch in our house. Mum would just use whatever veggies she had to hand and lentils were very often featured as a good filling element.
I do think soup-making is a real tradition in Scotland, the kitchen is never complete in the cooler months (most of the year here) without a pot of soup on the go and this pea and lentil soup is definitely worth making.
Ingredients for this pea and lentil soup
Peas are a good starting place. I’ve just used frozen peas for this soup recipe.
Lentils – these are packed with fibre and so good for you. They make this simple soup really hearty and filling.
You will also need an onion, garlic and stick of celery plus some parsley for your pea and lentil soup
You will want to add liquid of course to get the consistency you prefer, use either plain water or a veggie stock cube.
The complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this recipe can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make this soup
This frozen pea and lentil soup recipe couldn’t be easier to make.
Simply saute the onion to start then add the garlic. The rest of the veggies go in next with enough water to cover.
Simmer for about 20 minutes till all the vegetables are tender.
Once your vegetables have cooked and you blitz everything with a stick blender you can decide if you want to add more water to your pea and lentil soup to make it thinner or keep it as a really thick soup.
Your pea and lentil soup will keep in a box in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze it for up to 6 months as well of course.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Quick And Easy Pea and Lentil Soup
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- 500 g peas frozen
- 1/2 cup lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- 600 ml vegetable stock or water
- Saute the onion and celery in a deep pan for 3 mins then add the garlic for 2 mins
- Add the peas and lentils plus the parsley and seasoning
- Add enough water or stock to cover veggies
- Simmer for about 20 minutes till everything is tender
- Blitz with a hand held blender and add more water if you wish
- Serve with pea shoots on top