Roasted aubergine soup is comforting, warming and healthy too; a great way to start the New Year. With it’s aubergines, peppers and oregano and thyme this is a bit of a Greek style recipe and is rather apt since I’m off to lovely Creek this weekend for a few weeks.
As it’s out of season and there won’t be sunbeds and sunshine I will very probably be making this lovely roasted aubergine soup for myself in my little apartment in the village.
I know it seems a strange time of year to be visiting a holiday island but I can’t wait to get there, at least it’ll be brighter and better weather than here. I’m going over to get some writing work done and hopefully even getting back into doing some running in a bid to get fit for 2017! Throw in catching up with friends and having some fun and I reckon trotting off to Crete in January is a pretty good idea.
This roasted aubergine soup is so tasty and packed with goodness but is really easy to make. The only time consuming bit is roasting the aubergines and other veggies to get that gorgeous nutty toasty flavour from them, but let’s face it, all you’re doing is popping them in the oven while you can go off an do something else for half an hour.
This recipe is for 2 people but you can just double it etc to make as much as you want.
For this roasted aubergine soup all you’ll need is 1 aubergine, 2 red peppers, 1 chilli, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 onion, 500ml of vegetable stock and a tablespoon each of dried thyme and oregano.
All you have to do is slice the aubergine in half lengthways, add the whole peppers to oven tray, peel and chop onion into quarters, peel garlic cloves and chop chilli in half lengthwise and remove membrane, seeds and stalk.
Scatter the veggies on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and half of the herbs.
Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 30 minutes till everything is soft.
Scoop flesh from the aubergine and discard skin, remove stalks and skin from peppers and discard.
Toss everything into a food processor and give it a good whazz.
Pour into a pan and add the stock and remaining herbs. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread.
- 1 aubergine
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 500ml/1 pint vegetable stock
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and place cut side down in large baking tray
- Add the red peppers
- Cut chilli lengthways and remove seeds and membranes and stalk and add to baking tray
- Peel the onion and cut into qarters and add
- Peel cloves of garlic and add to baking tray
- Add half of the herbs and a good glug of olive oil
- Bake in oven for approx 30 mins till everything soft and tender
- Remove skin from aubergine and peppers and discard
- Whazz everything in food processor then ladle into a pan
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Season to taste