Salmon is such a versatile fish and works well with all sorts of flavours. Here I’ve paired it up perfectly with fresh herb packed pesto in these super and easy to make salmon and pesto rolls.
This is summer eating at it’s best, light yet filling, healthy and tasty too. My salmon and pesto rolls make the perfect lunch to eat outdoors with friends (should the weather oblige) or a good light supper dish too served with this Provencal-style salad.
Why you’ll love this
- Because this is such a super easy recipe and ready in less than half an hour.
- Salmon has to be one of the healthiest fish around. Packed with vitamins and minerals and of course that all-important Omega 3 oiol.
- Bringing salmon and pesto together like this with the cream cheese is just the tastiest dish you can imagine.
There are only really 2 ingredients here, salmon and pesto!
I of course use good old Scottish salmon in my recipe but you can use any salmon you can get your hands on, just remember ours is best!
Please, please, please resist all temptation to trot out to the shops and buy one of those nasty little jars of pesto, make your own it is so easy and tastes FAR better than any bought stuff.
You can go for any manner of flavours instead of the standard basil pesto, in this recipe here I’ve made a simple parsley and almond pesto.
I love pesto so much and use it all the time in all sorts of recipes. I’ve even written an ebook about pesto which has over 75 fun and super easy recipes for all sorts of pestos from the herbal to those using veggies and even weeds. Actually, I do fruit pestos to for desserts. Plus there are recipes for using your delicious pestos too.
Check out A Passion For Pesto.
How to make this
Having whipped up your own pesto it is simply a matter of spreading it onto a salmon fillet along with a layer of cream cheese a few fresh spinach leaves and rolling it up like a mini Swiss roll and securing your precious little bundle with kitchen twine.
Bake your salmon and pesto rolls covered in foil for about 20 minutes till cooked through.
I’ve served my salmon with a simple Provencal style salad on the side. This is made up of potatoes, black olives, baby tomatoes, salad leaves, sliced onions, asparagus and mange tout.
Of course, you can serve your salmon and pesto rolls with any sort of salad you like and if you want a more filling dish add a baked potato on the side but to be honest I find this combination so tasty and filling it really is the perfect posh lunch or light supper in summer.
This recipe is for one person, just double up etc for more people.
Looking for more super easy salmon recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Seared salmon with whisky dipping sauce
Salmon broccolini and asparagus traybake
Seared salmon with minted greens
Smoked salmon on potato scones
Salmon creme pot (super tasty salmon spread)
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Salmon and pesto rolls
- 120g salmon 1 salmon fillet
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 2 spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 small potatoes
- olives black and green
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- salad leaves
- 1 tbsp onion just a few slices of onion
- 2 spears asparagus
- ½ cup mange tout
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Spread the salmon fillet with pesto and cream cheese and lay the spinach leaves on top
- Roll up and tie with string
- Place in small baking tray with lemon and olive oil and season well
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Boil potatoes for 15 mins
- Steam asparagus for 5 mins and mange tout for 2 mins
- Toss everything in lemon juice and olive oil, season well add a sprinkling of dried basil, oregano and thyme
Leave a Reply