So here we are on Wednesday and I’m heading off to the SECC in Glasgow with all my boxes of ingredients and kits for the show. Youy know when I did this show as a seller I used to dream of the day when I could do a show and not have to cart loads of stuff around with me. Well lookee here, now I’m not selling and just doing demos and I seem to be dragging about more stuff than ever! Go figure!
Anyway today I thought I’d share my recipe for Smoked Salmon On Tattie Scones that comes from my Wee Taste Of Scotland book.
I’ll be making this recipe on stage every afternoon in the Cookery Theatre. It is the Scottish version of that party classic smoked salmon on blinis.
Here is what you’ll need to make smoked salmon on tattie scones;
225g/8oz mashed potatoes
50g/2oz plain flour
25g/1 oz butter
2 tablespoons double cream
1/2 teaspoon salt plus white pepper to taste
3 tablespoons creme fraiche
3 slices smoked salmon
chive snippings to decorate
Here’s how to make your smoked salmon on tattie scones;
Warm the potatoes slightly so they are easier to work with and beat in the butter and seasoning and then the flour and a little cream to form a thick batter. Add your seasoning and don’t over beat.
Heat a large griddle/frying pan and lightly coat with oil, then wipe off excess oil.
Drop spoonfulls of the batter on to the hot pan and have on medium heat. Resist the temptation to move the batter, leave it alone to form a crust an cook on the bottom for about 3 minutes then flip over and do the other side for approximately 2 minutes.
Take your tattie scones out of the pan when they are golden and browned on both sides.
Allow to cool and then spread with the creme fraiche, a small piece of smoked salmon and a wee scattering of snipped chives.
Serve with a glass of your favourite tipple and enjoy this version of the famous smoked salmon on blinis, only we are truly Scottish so it’s smoked salmon on tattie scones all the way!
Smoked Salmon On Tattie Scones
- 225 g/8oz mashed potatoes
- 50 g/2oz plain flour
- 25 g/1 oz butter
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus white pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 3 slices smoked salmon
- chive snippings to decorate
- Mix the potato with the plain flour and the softened butter, don't overmix or you will get tough scones.
- Season to taste.
- Warm a griddle/frying pan and add oil then wipe off so very little remains.
- Drop spoonfulls of the batter on to the pan and do not move them! Let them cook for 3 minutes then turn over and cook the other side 2 minutes. They should be golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Spread each tattie scone with creme fraiche and top with a piece of smoked salmon and a sprinkling of snipped chives.
- This makes approximately 24 mini tattie scones