These super simple chocolate and orange cakes are my nod to that classic Christmas combo that comes wrapped in foil and usually in your stocking at Christmas time.
Idgy had a friend round for a sleepover last weekend. “What would you like me to make?” I asked.
Well, I just knew it would be something to do with chocolate, my gal is nothing if not predictable when it comes to her favourite treat, but this time she threw orange into the equation as well with a casual reply.
“oh, something like a chocolate orange in a cake would be nice”. Course it would, no problem…..
These chocolate and orange cakes were the answer.
Of course, I have asked this question after I’ve done the weekend shopping so now have to create the choccy orange wonder cake out of what is lurking in the larder. Amazing how a tin of mandarins can inspire.
This is a basic chocolate cake batter using eggs, self raising flour, cocoa powder, butter etc.
But adding in grated orange zest for the all-important orange flavour.
The filling is made using cream cheese, icing sugar and marmalade.
Top them off with tinned mandarins
Check out my homemade marmalades to use in these chocolate and orange cakes;
How to make these cakes
This is an all-in-one cake mixture that you just chuck all the ingredients into the bowl of your mixer and let it do the work.
Don’t you just love that kind of baking!
I baked my cake in a standard brownie tin and then used a nifty little cookie cutter that actually cuts out 3 oblongs at once.
Obviously, you can just slice the cake into the size you want.
Keep it simple
Keeping things simple is always my rule in the kitchen. These chocolate and orange cakes are a breeze to make and they went down a real treat with Idgy and her friends.
So why not enjoy some of these zingy fun chocolate and orange cakes with your cuppa this weekend.
What to serve with these cakes
Serve them just as they are or add some whipped cream or ice-cream on the side for a real tea time treat.
Looking for more super simple tea time treats to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Super simple chocolate and orange cakes
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 115 g dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 115 g plain flour all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 orange zest grated
- 125 ml Greek yogurt
For filling and topping
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp Icing sugar
- mandarin segments tinned mandarins
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4 Line a low sided baking tray with parchment
- This is one of those store cupboard bakes that really is easy to pull together as it is an all-in-one mix. Toss all ingredients for the cake part into your mixer and bring together but don’t over mix it or the cake will become tough. Stop once everything is well combined.
- Spoon into a lined baking tray and smooth the top. Mine was around 1cm/just under half an inch in depth. Pop into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until it springs back when gently pressed in the centre.
- Leave to cool on wire rack while to mix up the topping. This is a case of add-it-and-mix to get the icing sugar right. Start with your wet ingredients and start stirring in the sifted icing sugar. It takes quite a bit to form a paste so just add and stir until you have the consistency that you like.
- When the cake has cooled completely cut into finger shapes. I got this brilliant little cutter that does 3 finger shapes at once. and then split them in half. Spread the gorgeous creamy filling on to the bottom piece and then pop the lid on. Do this with all the little cakes and then dust gently with a little icing sugar. Top each with a mandarin segment and scoff the rest.