Idgy had a friend round for a sleepover last weekend. “What would you like me to make?” I asked, well I just knew it would be something to do with chocolate, my gal is nothing if not predictable when it comes to her favourite treat, but this time she threw orange into the equation as well with a casual reply of “oh something like a chocolate orange in a cake would be nice”. Course it would, no problem…..
Of course I have asked this question after I’ve done the weekend shopping so now have to create the choccy orange wonder cake out of what is lurking in the larder. Amazing how a tin of mandarins can inspire.
- 50 g/1 1/4 oz unsalted butter
- 115 g/4oz dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 115 g/4 oz plain flour all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 25 g/1 oz cocoa powder
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 125 ml/4fl oz plain Greek yogurt
- To Fill and Top
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- Icing sugar
- Tinned mandarin segments
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4 Line a low sided baking tray with parchment
- This is one of those store cupboard bakes that really is easy to pull together as it is an all-in-one mix. Toss all ingredients for the cake part into your mixer and bring together but don't over mix it or the cake will become tough. Stop once everything is well combined.
- Spoon into a lined baking tray and smooth the top. Mine was around 1cm/just under half an inch in depth. Pop into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until it springs back when gently pressed in the centre.
- Leave to cool on wire rack while to mix up the topping. This is a case of add-it-and-mix to get the icing sugar right. Start with your wet ingredients and start stirring in the sifted icing sugar. It takes quite a bit to form a paste so just add and stir until you have the consistency that you like.
- When the cake has cooled completely cut into finger shapes. I got this brilliant little cutter that does 3 finger shapes at once. and then split them in half. Spread the gorgeous creamy filling on to the bottom piece and then pop the lid on. Do this with all the little cakes and then dust gently with a little icing sugar. Top each with a mandarin segment and scoff the rest.