Making jam with what you have to hand is one of my favourite things. This Middle Eastern carrot jam with Orange and Pistachio is a case in point. Throw goodies into a jar and they come out even better, that’s jammin!
Carrots, love’em to bits. We go through lots of carrots, I’m sure Idgy and I must have been rabbits in a past life, at least distant relatives of Bugs Bunny and we must surely have raided Mr McGregor’s veggie patch at some time in a past history.
We both nibble them raw, I make French carrot salad every week, we have them steamed, roasted, boiled, in soup, pureed, chopped and sliced.
I love making them into jam. In fact this jam is actually hitting top marks just now on the breakfast charts, it is even beating my all time favourite of apricot.
I have been making carrot jam for years, but this summer I wanted to add a bit of interest so threw in some pistachio nuts and cooked the carrots in orange juice, the results – wow, Peter Rabbit would be proud of me.
Ingredients for carrot jam
- Carrots (!)
- Pistachio nuts
How to make carrot jam
- Peel and chop the carrots and zest the orange and squeeze out the juice
- Cook carrots in orange juice with zest till tender then blitz in hand blender (or potato masher)
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and pistachios and heat till sugar dissolves then boil to setting point
- Ladle into sterilised jars
New to preserving? Then don’t panic, I can take you from zero to hero in no time at all.
Just check out these handy articles to get you heading in the right direction fast;
Serving ideas for carrot jam
Serve this carrot orange and pistachio jam on everything from toast and scones to pancakes and toasted sandwiches with chicken or cheese.
Stir some into your Greek yogurt in the morning.
Use as a glaze on roasted chicken or pork.
Add some carrot jam to Asian and Middle Eastern recipes when you want a sweet fruity hit of flavour.
Eat your heart out bunnies this one’s for us!
Looking for more fun carrot recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Middle Eastern carrot jam with orange and pistachio
- 800 g carrots
- 2 oranges zest and juice
- 500 g jam sugar
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 50 g pistachio nuts chopped
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots.
- Grate the zest off the oranges and squeeze out the juice.
- Cook the carrots in the orange juice with the zest until they are completely tender.
- After cooking zap them to a pulp, you should get about 750g/1lb 11oz of pulp.
- Now add the jam sugar, grated zest of lemon and the lemon juice and those chopped up pistachios.
- Heat gently to dissolve the sugar and raise to a boil. Bubble away until you reach your setting point (that chilled saucer in the freezer for 5 minutes teaspoon of the jam on it and back to fridge for 5 mins to see if it sets enough) and then spoon this gorgeously bright golden zingy jam into sterilised jars .