Millionaires shortbread always used to be my favourite treat whenever I was at the bakery for Mum way back in my youth and always something I tend to reach for when at a coffee shop nowadays. Guess the tastes of our youth never leave us, though having said that I’m glad I’ve lost my addiction to sherbet dabs and all those other seriously dodgy sugary treats!
I wrote this recipe for Millionaires Shortbread for the shortbread section of my book Simply Scottish Cakes & Bakes which is when I discovered just how many different types of shortbread there are in Scotland. From the traditional Petticoat Tails that took their name from the Elizabethan underskirt patterns to shortbread fingers, Ayrshire shortbread that contains cream for added richness to jammy shortbread sandwiches. Good old shortbread did of course originate in Scotland and it was a Mrs McLintock in 1736 who penned the first recipe for posterity.
What you’ll need;
For the base it is just flour, butter and sugar really.
On to the middle section and you will requite the really sweet caramel stuff. Butter, golden syrup, golden caster sugar and condensed milk. There I told you it was sweet!
For the topping it’s just chocolate all the way. I used a mixture of milk and plain chocolate then added swirls of white chocolate as a finishing touch.
Let’s make shortbread!
Although this Millionaires Shortbread is a calorific nightmare, everyone deserves a wee treat now and then.
Just resist the temptation to eat the whole lot, remember sharing is caring and all that……
- 115 g/4 oz unsalted butter
- 175 g/6oz plain flour
- 55 g/2oz golden caster sugar
- 175 g/6oz unsalted butter
- 115 g/4oz golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 400 g/14oz can condensed milk
- 200 g/7oz good quality chocolate I use a mix of plain and milk then swirled some white chocolate on top
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and line a shallow 23cm tin
- Make the shortbread base by whizzing together the base ingredients in food processor and then press into the prepared baking tin
- Bake for approx 25 mins till golden on top
- Heat butter, sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup in a pan till sugar has dissolved
- Raise the temperature to a boil then simmer for 8 minutes till thickens but keep stirring so it doesn’t stick to bottom of pan
- Pour over the shortbread base and place in fridge to set completely
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler/bain marie and pour over the chilled solid caramel topped shortbread
- Swirl on melted white chocolate to decorate
- Pop back into the fridge to set and then cut into squares with a sharp knife