This roasted cherry tomato bruschetta with balsamic vinegar is a sort of posh version of cheese on toast with a whole lot of Mediterranean style and flavour. It makes the perfect appetizer or party food too.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This is a super simple recipe, basically it’s tomatoes and cheese on toast but with Italian style! The perfect light lunch.
- Quick and easy to prepare this bruschetta is packed with flavour and tastes as if there is a lot more effort involved.
- This makes a great starter for a supper party or in smaller pieces as a party nibble too.
What is bruschetta?
Basically folks this is a fancy Italian form of toast.
Bruschetta (pronounced Broo-sketta) is bread that is toasted and rubbed immediately with garlic so that it sinks in and flavours the toast. Add a dash of olive oil and salt and you’re done.
Then a topping of anything from tomatoes to cold meats, pickled veggies or cheeses, beans etc are placed on top.
Bruschetta is often served with a chilled glass of wine or aperitif in the evening or just as antipasti (starter dish) for lunch too.
Ingredients for this tomato bruschetta
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 large slices of Feta cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Fresh basil leaves
- Black garlic balsamic vinegar
What type of tomatoes to use
I have used cherry tomatoes on the vine. Buying tomatoes on the vine means they have more flavour than those loose tomatoes in plastic boxes.
Better still if you have your own home-grown tomatoes to use for your bruschetta.
Whatever tomatoes you use make sure that you use really ripe fresh tomatoes. Old bruised tomatoes lack flavour and this simple tomato bruschetta dish is all about flavour.
Now I don’t know about you but I adore balsamic vinegar. I love the sweetness and the tanginess and the way it gives almost any dish a great punch of flavour. Now obviously there are different types and qualities of balsamic vinegar and they all hail back to Modena in Italy.
I’m using a delicious black garlic balsamic vinegar for my cherry tomato bruschetta. I really like the richness and depth of flavour here.
If you are unfamiliar with black garlic the flavour is unique. Black garlic is made by heating whole bulbs of garlic over the course of several weeks which results in the blackened syrupy sweet cloves.
The Burren Balsamics black garlic vinegar is a delight. There is a warmth to it, almost a hint of tamarind in there. Oh and it goes so well with these cherry tomatoes.
I have used feta cheese for my tomato bruschetta but you could just as easily use a goat’s cheese or Brie or even a mellow blue cheese.
How to make cherry tomato bruschetta
- Toast the bread on one side then place on an oven tray
- Add the cheese, basil leaves and the cherry tomatoes on top
- Drizzle over the black balsamic vinegar
- Bake in the oven at 200C for approximately 5 minutes till the tomatoes are blistered and oozing
I love tomatoes and these little cherry tomatoes blister and carmelize as they bake and act as little flavour bombs of sweetness exploding on your tongue with the earthy depth of the black garlic making them even better.
The cheese goes all melty and creamy and with the tomato juices and balsamic soaking into it creates a taste sensation.
How to serve this tomato bruschetta
This is such a simple little recipe that makes the perfect lunch on it’s own or maybe with a green salad on the side. I’ve made two cherry tomato bruschetta here and that was just perfect for a filling lunch.
Serve these bruschetta with a glass of wine in the evening.
Make them smaller and serve as party nibbles.
Simple good quality ingredients work every time.
If you like this bruschetta recipe then why not take a look at this amazing baked grapes with whipped feta bruschetta, it’s seriously good!
Disclosure; I was given a bottle of this delightful black garlic balsamic vinegar to try out.
Looking for more easy appetizers to make at home? Then check these out before youo go;
Roasted Cherry Tomato Bruschetta with Balsamic
- 75 g sourdough bread that's 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 50 g Feta cheese
- 4 basil leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 tbsp black garlic balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Toast the bread on one side then place on oven tray
- Top with the Feta cheese and basil leaves and cherry tomatoes
- drizzle with black garlic balsamic vinegar
- Bake in oven for approximately 5 minutes till tomatoes start to blister and ooze their juices