Pickles, pickles, pickles, I just love preserving fruit and vegetables this way. These pickled carrots just sing of spring time. They are the perfect addition to salads and sandwiches to add a bit of flavour and crunch. Just watch out Bugs Bunny doesn’t nick them first!
Pickling goes back centuries and is a great way of preserving fresh food for the months ahead. I originally did this recipe for my book Gourmet Gifts For Christmas which is now available as an eBook. I chose it for a Christmas book as carrots are something we can get all year round in the shops so it can be made in winter time too.
You want to use nice young carrots for this pickled carrots recipe, avoid big gnarly carrots, the smaller younger carrots have more flavour.
All you have to do for this simple recipe is wash and dry the carrots. Slice them into long battons (size depends on the jars you are using). Then blanch them in boiling water for 30 seconds before draining and packing into sterilised jars.
Heat up all your other ingredients for the pickling brine and then pour this into the carrot filled jars.
Simplicity itself, seal with a lid and now you have pickled carrots. Leave these jars in the fridge for 2 days before using them. Once opened they will keep in there for a further 2 weeks.
I’ve packaged my pickled carrots with a page of an old recipe book featuring carrots as a jar topper on top of the lid. It’s little touches like this that make your foodie gifts special at any time of year.
- 300 g/11oz young carrots
- 150 ml/5floz water
- 150 ml/5floz white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 star anise
- 1 small dried chilli or 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Wash and dry the carrots and slice into battons
- Blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds then drain and pack into sterilised jars
- Heat all the other ingredients and bring to boil and lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Pour over carrots and seal jars
- Keep in fridge for 2 days before using
- Store in fridge once opened will keep 2 weeks
PIN ME FOR LATER