Who doesn’t like carrot cake, I love it. All those spices and aromatics go perfecty with the sweetness of carrots, so why not make carrot cake jam. This simple recipe ticks all the boxes for a sweet treat for toast, scones, oatcakes or with your cheese board of an evening.
Basically I broke down the ingredients I use in my own carrot cake and incorporated them in this carrot cake jam. Okay so I had to leave off that gorgeous cream cheese frosting, but hey you can’t have everything in life can you.
Spice is nice
I’ve used vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice for this recipe as well as lemon and oranges for that citrus kick. Throw in some walnuts, sugar and of course carrots and you will get carrot cake jam, just add heat!
Here’s the how to
All you need to do is peel those carrots, zest and juice the oranges and lemon and cook the carrots in the juice till tender. Blitz in a blender then return to the pan with the zest, sugar and spices. Once the sugar has all dissolved raise the heat to a boil and cook till you’ve reached the setting point.
Stir in the walnuts so they are suspended in the jam before spooning into sterilised jars. This recipe will make 4 small jars of carrot cake jam.
By the way this recipe is from my eBook Gourmet Gifts For Christmas.
So move over Roger Rabbit we’re after the carrots this year!
CARROT CAKE JAM
- 800 g/1 3/4lb carrots
- juice and zest of 2 oranges
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 300 g/11oz jam sugar
- 150 g/5oz dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g/2oz chopped walnuts
- Peel and chop the carrots
- zest and juice the lemon and oranges
- Cook the carrots in the fruit juices till tender
- Blitz in blender then return to the pan and add the sugars and spices
- Once sugar has completely dissolved raise heat to boil and cook till setting point
- Stir in the walnuts then ladle into sterilised jars
PIN ME FOR LATER