I thought I’d share one of the recipes I am making at my demos just now – Sugar Free Mocha Treats from my new bookette Naughty & Nice Edible Gifts For Christmas.
This is a quick and easy recipe and makes really tasty treats that tick the sweetness box without hitting the refined white sugar jar at all.As I’m living in Demo-Land just now having just got through Edinburgh Foodies Christmas Show and now on to Country Living Christmas Fair this week I am in a constant haze of ingredients, packing, dishes, jars and endless notes.
I have tasted my way through so many of these sugar free mocha treats I think I am getting addicted to them, they are just so very moreish!
The only equipment you’ll need for this recipe is a food processor and a fridge/freezer to chill your sugar free mocha treats until set.
Your ingredients are dates (get them ready stoned to save effort), crushed mixed nuts, cardamom pods, coconut oil, espresso powder, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and coconut to rill the treats in.
This is a 3 step recipe; toast the nuts and cardamom seeds, blitz all ingredients (apart from coconut) in food processor and then make little balls and roll them in the coconut.
As a certain meerkat on television would say – simples!
If you like this recipe you’ll love my new bookette Naughty & Nice Edible Gifts For Christmas.
- 90g/3½oz stoned dates
- 65g/3oz crushed mixed nuts
- seeds from 6 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- Chop dates and soak in a little hot water for 20 minutes then squeeze out liquid
- Toast the nuts and cardamom seeds in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes till aromatic and golden
- Blitz all ingredients (apart from the coconut) in food processor till you get a paste
- Pull off small pieces and roll into balls about the size of a marble (you'll get about 30)
- Roll in the desiccated coconut
- Freeze for half and hour or chill in the fridge overnight.
- Treats will keep for 1 week when stored in the fridge