Orangettes are a very much a tradition in France. These bitter sweet confections are the perfect addition to that hamper for Christmas and are so moreish you will be lucky if you manage to pack them up and give them away!
Now don’t be put off by the fact that you have to keep boiling the orange peel, draining and then doing the same thing over and over again. This is to soften up the peel and although a wee bit of a faff is well worth the effort, and let’s face it, you don’t have to stand there stirring or anything, just boil up and drain, so no excuses!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
You are going to need 2 unwaxed oranges for this. If you don’t have unwaxed oranges just scrub the fruit well in soapy water and rinse and dry thoroughly, voila you now have unwaxed oranges! The other ingredients are granulated sugar, dark chocolate (go for something with over 70% cocoa solids), 1 teaspoon of Scotch whisky (of course!) and sugar to sprinkle on top.
You don’t have to add the chocolate but I love the half and half look and think it really adds to the taste.
These orangettes will keep in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Warning, they are very, very moreish!
- 2 unwaxed oranges
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz granulated sugar
- 100 g/3 1/2 oz dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- 1 tsp Scotch whisky
- Sugar to scatter on top
- Slice the oranges into quarters and remove the peel taking away as much of the bitter white pith as you can.
- Cut into match sticks
- Put peel into a pan and cover with water
- Boil for 5 minutes, drain and repeat this process twice more.
- Put 100g of sugar and 100ml of water into a pan and heat to dissolve sugar then boil for 10 mins and add the peel
- Cook for approx 30 minutes until tender
- Drain and toss in sugar and set aside on baking paper in fridge overnight
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water making sure the water does not touch the base of the bowl
- Dip the orangettes into the chocolate till half covered, allow to set in a cool place for 2 hours and scatter with sugar
- Pack nto small bags.
- Use within 2 weeks