I have been making so many foodie goodies on stage over the past few weeks my head fairly spins with measurements and recipe info. I feel like it’s time to kick back and pour a drink and what better a tipple than this hot and zesty Grapefruit and Ginger Gin.
This is a flavoured gin
There are so many flavoured gins and vodkas these days in the shops, but they don’t come cheap. You can make your own grapefruit and ginger gin so easily you will soon be hooked and making all sorts of flavoured booze and forget the shops completely!
I love making infused booze and actually prefer drinking simple infusions to overly sweet liqueurs. This grapefruit and ginger gin is a perfect example. You can sip this as an ice-cold shot straight from the freezer or as part of a martini or other citrussy cocktail.
You can use pink or normal grapefruit for this recipe and feel free to use vodka instead of gin if that is your preferred tipple.
There are only three ingredients here;
Gin * Grapefruit * Ginger
The only kit you’ll need is a peeler, a sharp knife and a large jar.
- You can either use unwaxed grapefruit or give ‘normal’ grapefruits a good scrub with hot soapy water then rinse well and pat dry.
- Peel off the skin and try to avoid the bitter white pith.
- Pop this into a nice clean jar and squeeze in all the juice.
- Peel and slice the ginger and add this to the jar along with the gin.
- Screw on the lid, shake well and leave in a cupboard for two weeks for the flavours to mingle and infuse.
- Strain through muslin or a sieve lined with kitchen roll and pour into pretty sterilised bottles.
Drink within a year.
How’s that for Christmas cheer!
Now how easy was that folks? You’ll find this grapefruit and ginger gin recipe and loads of others in my new recipe Ebook Naughty and Nice Edible Gifts For Christmas.
Grapefruit And Ginger Gin
- 2 large grapefruit
- 500 ml/1 pint gin or vodka if you prefer
- 1 tbsp peeled and sliced ginger
- If grapefruit are waxed then scrub well in hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly before peeling off the skin and trying to avoid the bitter white pith
- Pop this into a large jar and squeeze in all the grapefruit juice
- Add the peeled and sliced ginger and top up with the gin
- Screw a lid on the jar and set aside in a cupboard for 2 weeks to infuse
- Strain through a muslin or kitchen roll lined sieve and pour into sterile bottles
- Use within 1 year
PIN ME FOR LATER