This super easy pumpkin and tomato soup is a great way to use up that pumpkin flesh and the perfect supper on a chilly Autumnal night.
Pumpkin and Tomato Soup
It’s Halloween and the shops are packed with pumpkins so I just had to make this simple pumpkin and tomato soup.
I even managed to serve it to Idgy in one of those mini pumpkins after I’d removed the flesh. Looks cute I know but a bit of a faff, anyway it’s Halloween so you have to go for it with those pumpkins.
Ingredients for pumpkin and tomato soup
- 1 kilo/2 1/2lb pumpkin flesh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 litre/1 3/4 pints chicken (or veggie) stock
- salt & pepper to taste
How to peel a pumpkin
Chop the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds (save these for roasting) and clear out all the stringy stuff.
Cut the flesh into big chunks and then smaller pieces (about 4cm/2″ square) as these are easier to deal with.
Now you can slice off the skin. This just saves you wrestling with big unwieldy pieces of slippery pumpkin and a sharp knife.
How to make pumpkin and tomato soup
Peel and chop the onion and sweat it in the olive oil until tender but don’t brown it. Toss in the pumpkin. Chop the chilli and add this to the pan.
Add the chicken/veggie stock and bring up to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. You want the pumpkin to be completely soft and tender.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Use either a potato masher or stick blender to cream the soup a bit. I like a textured soup so I just used a potato masher. Serve in cute little scooped out carved pumpkins and add a drizzle of olive oil and a few crushed dried chilli flakes.
Can you freeze this pumpkin and tomato soup?
Yes, simply let the soup cool then pack into freezer proof containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost and make sure it’s piping hot when you serve it
Don’t throw away the pumpkin flesh when carving those pumpkins this year, make some tasty pumpkin and tomato soup instead.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Then check these out before you go;
and why not check this out too
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this pumpkin and tomato soup recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and respond to everyone as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my newsletter too.
Pumpkin and tomato Soup
- 1 k 2 1/2lb pumpkin flesh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp chopped fresh red chilli
- 1 lt 1 3/4 pints vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the pumpkin flesh into 2cm/1" pieces
- Sweat the onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes till tender but not browned
- Add the chilli and the pumpkin as well as the stock
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes (or until the pumpkin is tender)
- Now add the tinned tomatoes, season to taste and cook for a further 10 minutes
- You can either use a potato masher or a stick blender if you prefer a smoother soup
- I served my pumpkin and tomato soup in hollowed out mini pumpkins. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil