Healthy, hearty, easy to make and a great way to use up all that pumpkin that’s hanging about. This Pumpkin and Coconut Soup is a Halloween must!
Perfect Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
Halloween is coming up fast and furious, wherever you go just now shops are groaning under the weight of massive pumpkins, plastic skeletons are everywhere and orange and black is the overall colour-scheme of every shop in the land.
Since you can’t seem to avoid pumpkins just now I thought I’d jump on the proverbial band-waggon with my pumpkin and coconut soup recipe.
Soup is perfect for this Autumnal time of year when the nights are getting chilly and comfort food is top of the list when menu planning.
This pumpkin and coconut soup is seriously healthy as well as being easy to make and super tasty too.
Ingredients for pumpkin and coconut soup
Pumpkin flesh, coconut milk,onion and vegetable stock
Lots of lovely spices; turmeric, curry powder, chilli, ginger and garlic.
And some fresh basil too just to finish things off with a blast of fresh flavour.
How many does this soup serve?
I’ve made my recipe for 2 servings but you just need to double up the recipe to make as much as you like.
It is a great way to use up bits of pumpkin from all those jack-o-lanterns that I’m sure so many are busily carving just now.
Can you freeze this soup?
Yes, simply let it cool completely then pack into freezer proof boxes of bags and store in the freezer for up the 3 months. Defrost thoroughly and heat till piping hot.
So why not try my pumpkin and coconut soup this week even if the Halloween hoopla leaves you cold, at least honour the majestic pumpkin on it’s big day with this wonderful soup.
Want more pumpkin inspiration? Then check out these recipes before you go;
PIN ME FOR LATER
Finally, if you do try this pumpkin and coconut soup recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. i love hearing from readers and respond to everyone as soon as I can. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my newsletter too.
Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 200 g/7 oz pumpkin flesh chopped into 1 1/2cm/ 1/2 " cubes
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger grated or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 500 ml/1 pint vegetable stock
- 125 ml/4 fl oz coconut milk
- 6 basil leaves torn
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute the pumpkin pieces in the coconut oil for 4 minutes
- Add the onion, garlic and spices and cook for 3 more minutes
- Add the stock and seasoning and bring to the boil then lower the heat, add a lid and simmer soup for 20 minutes
- Add half of the coconut milk and whazz soup with a hand blender leaving some nice chunks of pumpkin for texture
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining coconut milk and the torn basil leaves