Moroccan Chicken, comfort food for a cold day with all the taste and colour of summer sunshine. I love this sort of meal, it is cheering and hearty at the same time, sometimes you just need your food to give you a bit of a hug, food is way more than just sustenance after all.
Another good thing about this Moroccan chicken recipe is that even though it has the hearty comfort food factor it is also healthy. You know how you sometimes think comfort food is just stodgy? Well this isn’t, it gives that lovely filling feeling but it is a healthy option too.
With good quality free range (if possible) chicken, turmeric (a go to spice that is just SO good for you), chickpeas, ginger, garlic and olives it is packed with goodness. Throw in the tomatoes and fresh herbs and it just ticks all the boxes.
This Moroccan Chicken recipe is a prime example of the Mediterranean Diet at it’s best with chickpeas adding bulk to the dish instead of rice, pasta or other heavy carbs.
I’ve served my Moroccan chicken here with rice but I often make it with just a nice green salad on the side. That’s when I’m being healthy and not just starving for a big plate of goodness!
This recipe serves two people and is easy to multiply for a family meal or to feed a crowd.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thighs and 2 legs of chicken
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garllic minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- pinch of saffron
- pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 400 g/14oz can of chick peas drained
- 2 tbsp chopped olives
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat oil in large pan till hot and sear the chicken for 2 mins on both sides
- Lower the temperature and add turmeric until scenty then add the onion, garlic, ginger and seasonings
- Add the drained chick peas plus half a can of water
- Bring everything to a boil and then lower temperature and semi cover the pan and let it simmer gently for 40 mins until the chicken is tender
- Remove lid completely for a further 15 mins cooking time
- Add the olives for the final 5 mins and the lemon juice at the end.
- Serve with a scattering of the fresh herbs