This deliciously succulent chicken pot pie is sweetened with leeks and has the kick of cider. The crunchy filo pastry makes a lovely contrast to the creamy filling and it’s just so easy to make all in one skillet.
The inspiration for this chicken pot pie
This is British Pie Week so it would be rude not to feature a pie recipe, and you know me, never knowingly rude and all that. Anyway what pie to make, it had to be my favourite, chicken and leek pie.
And it had to be easy and an all-in-one pot pie with little washing up.
Ingredients for chicken leek and cider pie
Chicken is the main component for this tasty pie.
The other ingredients are leeks, garlic, mushrooms, feta cheese, Greek yogurt, dried thyme and cider.
Note there are no onions in this chicken pie.
What type of chicken to use
You can use chicken breast, chicken fillets or chicken thighs for your pie recipe. i always feel that chicken thighs have loads more flavour than the breast meat and are a lot cheaper too.
Buy the thighs with the bone in and remove these and use them to make your own chicken stock.
What type of pan to use
I have used my old faithful 8″/20cm cast iron skillet. The whole point of this simple pie is that you only have to use one pan from start to finish.
Any deep frying pan will do as long as the handle is oven-safe. Or use a hob safe casserole dish that does duty both on the cooker and in the oven.
How to make chicken leek and cider pot pie
- I first brown the chicken pieces all over then remove them from pan.
- The leeks and cooked down to get them really sweet and tender. I adore the sweetness of leeks when they are really well cooked.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms.
- Return the chicken to the pan with seasoning and thyme and cider.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely before stirring in the Greek yogurt and feta.
- Top with the scrunched filo pastry or another type of pastry.
- Bake for about 40 minutes till golden and crunchy on top.
What type of pastry to use for this pot pie
As you can see I have used filo pastry for my chicken pie. I love the crunch of filo pastry.
However you can use normal puff pastry for this recipe or even a short crust pastry top.
Use whatever pastry you happen to have to hand to make your chicken leek and cider pie.
How many does this chicken pot pie serve
You will get 4 servings of pie from this recipe. I used my trusty 8″ (20cm) cast iron skillet instead of a pie dish to make my pie.
The blackbird is from my Mum. Goodness, I dread to think how old this little guy is. He has graced every one of my Mum’s classic steak pies for as long as I can remember. He moved here when she died and I think of her every time he pops his head out of a pie.
This is a great store cupboard recipe, just using whatever veggies you have in the fridge.
You can use carrots instead of mushrooms. Or throw in some peas if you fancy that.
Asparagus works really well in this chicken pie too.
Looking for more super tasty chicken dishes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Chicken Leek and Cider Filo Pie
- cast iron skillet or any oven proof deep frying pan or hob friendly casserole
- 500 g diced chicken breast or thigh meat
- 400 g leeks cut into rings
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 400 ml dry cider
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- 100 g Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 pack filo pastry
- 1 egg, beaten to wash over pastry
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides then remove and set aside
- Add remaining oil to pan and saute the leeks on a low heat for approximately 20 minutes till cooked down and very soft
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more
- Season with salt and pepper and thyle and return chicken to the pan
- Pour in the cider, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Mix in the feta and Greek yogurt
- Top with scrunched up pieces of filo pastry covering entire dish (or ladle into a pie dish if not using an oven-proof skillet)
- Bake for 40 minutes till golden and crisp