Comfort food doesn’t come much better and tastier than this Basque Chicken (Poulet Basquaise) dish. Rich and aromatic and oh so easy to make too.
Chicken is such good meat to have around, relatively cheap to buy and super healthy too.
Not only that, it is just so damn versatile, you can create everything from a simple roast dinner to curries, casseroles, soups, kebabs, pates, terrines and salads.
Here is a super easy and tasty recipe for Basque Chicken inspired by the northern region of Spain.
Ingredients for Basque chicken
Red peppers, yellow peppers, onions, olives, garlic and thyme bring together succulent chicken thighs alongside tomatoes, a little dash of sherry, the punch of smoked paprika and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
I’ve used four chicken thighs for this recipe to give two large servings, you could just as easily use chicken quarters instead or even legs.
I’ve used dry sherry in my recipe, I tend to keep both sherry and vermouth handy in the kitchen as they can ramp up so many different types of dishes both savoury and sweet.
Resist the temptation to glug the lot while cooking, but always buy something you would drink yourself and never think of booze you use in the kitchen as ‘cooking’ sherry etc and use the cheapest – believe me you will taste the difference.
How to make this
This is simple food, hearty and filling food and the perfect dish to throw together and just leave it to simmer away and do its stuff while you get on with life however you fancy!
Once you have seared the chicken remove from pan. Now add onions, peppers etc and saute before returning the chicken.
Add tinned tomatoes and simmer for only about 30 minutes and you will have a delicious Basque chicken ready to serve.
How to serve poulet Basquaise
This Basque Chicken dish is as rich in colour as it is in flavour. Serve it with simple boiled basmati rice or quinoa and make sure you have some good rustic bread on hand to mop up that delicious sauce.
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Basque Chicken/Poulet Basquese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 60 g chicken 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 200 g chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml sherry
- 1/2 cup olives stoned and halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh flat leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large pan and sear the chicken on both sides. Do not move for 1 minute to form a crust then tiurn after 2 mins and do other side. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 4 minutes before adding the garlic and sliced peppers.
- Add the paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and add the tinned tomatoes and sherry.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the olives during last 10 minutes of cooking time and season to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with flat leaf parsley alongside some basmati rice.