This is such a busy week for me what with zapping back and forth into Glasgow each day to do my talks and demos at the Country Living Magazine Christmas fair. It is all go, go, go and I sometimes feel like I’m chasing my tail.
I have to have meals well organised when I’m busy like this. If I don’t there is the dreadful temptation to forgo all healthy living and hit the chip shop. No, I will not succumb!
Pulling together quick and easy meals is the way to go, being well prepared and knowing that you really can create good food fast helps to avoid temptation.
This Chicken Pilaf is so easy to make and is packed with flavour, it’s great comfort food after a long day and something you can knock up in half an hour.
This is a great way of using up leftover chicken from a roast dinner or if you don’t have a roast to hand you can just use a small package of cooked chicken from the supermarket. Everything in this recipe is a case of using up little bits and pieces from the fridge and embracing the larder for all your spices and a little dried fruit.
I’ve used brown basmati rice, but feel free to use any long grain rice you like.
Toast your seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes till they start to release their wonderful aroma. Doing this makes them far more exciting and tasty and only takes a moment or two.
This Chicken Pilaf is quick easy comfort food and packed with feel good ingredients too that all help to boost your mood.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 cardamom pods crushed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 1/2 courgette chopped
- 1 ear corn kernals removed
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 175 g/6oz cooked chicken
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp roasted pumpkin sunflower seeds and pine nuts
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook all spices and chopped garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped courgette and corn kernals and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the rice and make sure it is well coated in the spiced oil before adding the chicken stock, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Scatter with fresh mint and the roasted seeds and nuts just before serving.