Most people just think of shortbread as something to have with a cup of tea in the afternoon. Well, these savoury cheese shortbread bites bring shortbread to the cocktail hour and party time too!
Savoury Cheese Shortbread Bites
Sorry I’m so late with the posting today, but I’ve got a couple of friends coming for supper tonight so I thought I would combine baking my nibbles (!) with blogging.
I’ve just made some scrummy savoury cheese shortbread bites to nibble on instead of crisps (potato chips) with our cocktails in the garden (ain’t I glam!) before supper.
They are so quick and easy to make, the only snag is that they are seriously moreish and there is a definite danger of there being none left for my guests.
I love shortbread, maybe it is the whole Scottish thing but it has to be said that shortbread really is my go-to biscuit of choice.
In my cookbook Simply Scottish Cakes & Bakes I made a variety of shortbreads but they were all the traditional sweet varieties.
This recipe is for cheesy shortbread bites which are a savoury version of the Scottish classic. I have also made then a lot thinner than standard shortbread and cut them into small bite sized triangles.
I used a cookie cutter for a circle then just sliced both ways to make quarters.
They then became the perfect nibble size. Perfect for filling a bowl and serving with drinks.
How to serve these cheesy shortbread bites
Serve with any dip you fancy. I’m going for cream cheese with chives, garlic and lemon.
These super easy cheesy shortbread bites are just one of over 50 recipes in my eBook Naughty and Nice Edible Gifts For Christmas.
Have a lovely weekend.
Looking for some more party nibble ideas? Then check these out before you go;
and if you want a whole host of Scottish party food ideas then check out my book A Wee Taste Of Scotland which is packed with over 50 great party sized nibbles all with a Scottish twist.
PIN ME FOR LATER
PS if you try this recipe then please leave a comment or rating below. I do answer every comment just as soon as I can. Don’t want to miss anything on Larder Love then follow me on Facebook and Instagram and sign up to my newsletter and get my free ebooks too.
Cheesy Shortbread Bites
- 125 g/4 1/2 oz chopped chilled butter
- 70 g/2 1/2 oz grated hard cheese I used cheddar and some French stuff lurking in the fridge
- 50 g/ 1 3/4 oz grated parmasan cheese
- 150 g/5 1/2 oz plain all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment
- Whizz all the ingredients together in a food processor until you get a ball of dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and pop in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
- Roll out very thinly to about 2mm/1/8th inch on a floured surface and cut into large rounds. To give mine a real shortbread look I then cut each circle into quarters, or farls as they are traditionally called and pricked them a little with a fork.
- Lift all the pieces on to your baking tray (you will have to do these in batches or use a couple of trays) and bake for 10 minutes, or until just golden.
- Let them cool on a wire rack - if you can!