Okra in tomato sauce a taste of Greek summer sunshine in the cold of late winter here in the UK. Okra is sometimes called Ladies Fingers and is available in large supermarkets even up here in Ayrshire, Scotland! I love cooking Mediteranean food at any time of year as it’s so healthy and tasty and just makes me think of sunshine.
You can serve this okra in tomato sauce either as part of a sharing meze starter with some other dishes or as a main course side dish for two people. If you are really into okra you can just have this as your main dish and congratulate yourself on your full embracement of the super healthy mediteranean diet.
For me it is a side dish when I’m serving up grilled pork chops. Forget serving up the usual carbs and serve this okra in tomato sauce instead. It is filling and delicious and you won’rt miss your usual carb side at all.
- 175g okra
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion shopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of runny honey
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Crumbled feta to garnish
- Trim the tops and tails off the okra after washing and drying
- Heat oil and sauté the onion for 5 mins then add the garlic for 2 mins
- Add tomatoes, honey, seasoning and oregano for 5 mins
- Add the okra and a little water making sure okra is covered in sauce and simmer for 35 mins
- Add parsley for last 5 mins cooking time
- Serve with a sprinkling of feta cheese
- Serves 2 as a starter or side dish or 1 as a main