I love shortbread and I love strawberries, put them together and you get this quick and easy strawberry shortcakes recipe. The perfect tea time treat for warm summer days in the garden with family and friends.
It’s strawberry season again, that harbinger of summer. Oh the taste of freshly picked strawberries from the garden.
I adore them and love to use them in as many ways as possible from jams to desserts to salads and of course in baking like these gorgeous strawberry shortcakes.
Strawberry shortcakes are always considered an American tradition but I reworked things a bit for this Scottish version when I was writing my cookbook
Strawberries, the taste of summer
Way back in the dim and distant past (my youth) we only ever got strawberries when they were in season here in the UK, ie we got them in the summer months.
They tasted wonderful, sweet and juicy. Nowadays you can buy them all year in the supermarket but they are invariably tasteless and full of water.
Mass produced and imported from heaven knows where with a carbon footprint that would have any conservationist throwing up their hands in horror.
Buy strawberries in season, they are the best after growing your own of course.
The base of the strawberry shortcakes is basically shortbread, now you can’t get much more Scottish than that really!
I’ve used Demerara sugar in my recipe for extra taste and a bit of crunch too. Make sure you roll the dough out nice and thin for that real melt-in-the-mouth experience.
Ingredients for these strawberry shortcakes
All you will need is self-raising flour, plain flour, butter, sugar and salt for the shortbread base and for the topping mascarpone cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract, pistachio nuts to scatter on top and of course those all-important strawberries.
If you don’t have any mascarpone cheese then just use cream cheese instead, maybe sweeten it up with a little icing sugar or honey if you prefer.
If you don’t like pistachio nuts then try flaked almonds instead.
How to serve these strawberry shortcakes
You can simply serve them with a cup of tea as a sweet treat at any time of day.
Or why not serve these as the perfect summer dessert after a lovely meal in the garden.
Looking for more fun summery strawberry recipes? Then check these out;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Quick and easy strawberry shortcakes
- 115 g self raising flour
- 25 g plain flour
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp Icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g strawberries hulled and halved
- 1 tbsp pistachios crushed
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a baking tray
- You can easily do all this in your food processor
- Mix flours and salt with the butter to get a breadcrumb consistancy then add in the sugar and mix together till it comes together as a dough
- Wrap in clingfilm and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up and chill
- Cut dough into 6 pieces and roll out on floured surface to make thin circle about 2mm thick and measuring about 10cm , use a large cookie cutter for this.
- Place all circles on ungreased baking tray and bakefor 10-15 minutes till golden and firm to touch
- Remove from oven leave for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely
- Beat the mascarpone with vanilla extract and icing sugar
- Cover each disc with the topping then place the strawberry halves on top and scatter with a little icing sugar and the crushed pistachios