For me Cassis is the taste of summer. This beautifully fragrant blackcurrant liqueur lifts the plainest white wine into the realms of stardom. If you want to go the whole hog you can add it to sparkling white wine or champagne for a Kir Royale.
What you will need
To make your own Cassis you will need blackcurrants, vodka, red wine and sugar. That’s it for the ingredients really, amazing when you think how expensive these little goodies are in the shops yet there is very little in them and you can make your own cassis at home so easily!
You’ll need lots of blackcurrants for this. Luscious black gems. Pockets full of bitter brightness.
Purple stained fingers are all part of the adventure.
Tomorrow I’ll show you how to decorate the cutest little wine bottles for this. Perfect gifts for Christmas!
So here is your printable recipe to make your own Cassis.
Homemade Cassis Liqueur
- 750 g/1lb 10oz blackcurrants
- 1 litre/1 3/4 pints red wine
- 750 g/1lb 10oz sugar
- 50 ml/ 1/4 cup vodka
- Pick over the blackcurrants and chuck them in a large bowl with the red wine.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and leave for 48 hours, just stir each time you come in to the kitchen.
- Pour the currants and wine into a jelly bag/cheesecloth in sieve and leave to drain overnight.
- Squish out the juice. Really messy so wear rubber gloves. You will look like you have butchered a pig when you do this, definately one to scare the neighbours!
- Pour into a large pot and add the sugar. Warm gently to dissolve the sugar, do not boil. Keep to a simmer for about an hour till you see it chicken a bit and get a syrup like look.
- Now add the vodka and stir well.
- Leave to cool and pour into sterilised bottles.
- Set aside for a couple of months to mature. The longer the better.
PIN ME FOR LATER