Just look at the colours of this amazing blackcurrant salsa. Honestly it tastes just as colourful as it looks. Yes, of course you can taste colour, use your imagination!
Yes I still have blackcurrants to use up in the garden. So here is my recipe for Blackcurrant Salsa which makes a nice change from the usual tomato salsa and goes great with a BBQ or just with crisps, crackers and a good drink!
Blackcurrants are healthy little beasties packed with vitamins so this is a healthy wee recipe and if you can forget the calories you’re scoffing down with the crisps or crackers and what’s in the glass in your hand then you’re on to a winner.
Having said that it really is good as an accompaniment to BBQ meats and sausages and perfect with smoked salmon too.
There is very little to this recipe but you will want to heat the blackcurrants with the sugar and cider vinegar for a few minutes to break them down a little and press with the back of a wooden spoon. Remember to save some nice whole blackcurrants to add on top of the salsa for decoration, ditto the mint, keep a leaf or two as a finishing touch.
Here are some other salsa and dip recipes you might like to try;
- 150 g/1 cup blackcurrants
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 small tomatoes peeled deseeded and chopped
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Heat the blackcurrants, sugar and cider vinegar in a small pan for 5 minutes to break down the fruit a little and press with the back of a wooden spoon as well
- Let them cool completely in a bowl and add the other ingredients
- Chill in fridge for 30 mins to allow flavours to develop
- Serve with a few whole blackcurrants a whole or torn mint leaves on top
PIN ME FOR LATER