I always think that a fruit sorbet makes the perfect end to a meal. Especially if it is a big dinner. This Spiced Blackcurrant Sorbet is just perfect for that. Light and sophisticated and packed with flavour.
Spiced Blackcurrant Sorbet
Don’t you love blackcurrants, those little black jewels, so bitter sweet, perfect for jams, chutneys and pie fillings. They are perfect for a sorbet too. This spiced blackcurrant sorbet is a delight, the perfect end to any supper party, a grown-up treat.
I’ve made Cassis on this blog and I use Cassis in this recipe. The famous French blackcurrant liqueur adds a lovely rich boozy flavour to this lovely frozen dessert. It gives a great kick to the blackcurrant sorbet so I urge you to make some yourself as it is rather expensive to buy in the shops. If you haven’t got Cassis to hand you could use a drop of brandy or whisky to add that boozy zing to this recipe.
Ingredients for blackcurrant sorbet
There are very few ingredients in this Blackcurrant Sorbet, all you’ll need are blackcurrants, a simple sugar syrup, a star anise for spice and some Cassis or booze of choice. The star Anise is a wonderful pairing with blackcurrants. It has an aniseed flavour tht goes well with such a flavourful fruit.
How to make blackcurrant sorbet
- Make your sugar syrup first by mixing 100ml of water 1ith 100g sugar and heating till the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Now add the blackcurrants and boil then cover and simmer for 7 minutes till the blackcurrants are tender.
- Cool then press through a sieve to remove the pips, add the booze and chill thoroughly.
- Then use an ice-cream maker to churn to make your blackcurrant sorbet.
- Pop it into the freezer till you are ready to serve.
How long will sorbet keep in the freezer?
You can store this for up to 3 months in the freezer. Always top the sorbet with baking parchment before you put on the lid to avoid freezer burn.
Looking for more blackcurrant recipes? Then check these out;
Finally if you do try this spiced blackcurrant sorbet recipe please leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers and reply to everyone as fast as I can. Don’t want to miss out on any Larder Love, then follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram and sign up for my weekly newsletter too.
Spiced Blackcurrant Sorbet
- 500 g blackcurrants
- 100 ml water
- 100 g sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp Cassis or brandy or whisky
- Make sugar syrup by heating water and sugar till the latter has dissolved completely
- Add the blackcurrants, boil then reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 minutes till blackcurrants are tender
- Press through a sieve and stir in Cassis
- Chill thoroughly before churning in ice-cream maker then freezing till ready to serve.
PIN ME FOR LATER