Soup is my go-to for lunch or a quick and easy supper. This celery and apple soup is a great way to use up bits and pieces from the fridge (and fruit bowl) and tastes amazing.
Celery and Apple
In summer I mix apple and celery together in a salad. The almost aniseed like flavour of the celery marries perfectly well with the fresh sweetness of apple.
Why not bring these two ingredients together in the form of a soup. This simple celery and apple soup is easy to make and really packs a punch of flavour.
I made this the other night when I had a girlfriend round for supper. The soup went down great, it was just a pity she brought her (uninvited) dog who proceeded to trash the kitchen. When I didn’t appear thrilled she said ‘love me love my dog’.
Would she appreciate it if I rocked up with my cats and chickens to her house for supper, I think not. Anyway, on with that soup recipe……
Ingredients for celery and apple soup
Celery of course. I used a whole head of celery in my recipe.
A potato to thicken things up.
The usual soup base of onion and garlic.
An apple (eating apple please, not a cooking apple as they are far too bitter for this soup recipe)
Fresh thyme and vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you prefer)
How to make celery and apple soup
Simply saute the onion in a little oil then add the garlic. Now add all your other ingredients, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
use a stick blender to puree the soup and make it rich and creamy.
I’ve finished off my celery and apple soup with some baked pancetta, you could use bacon if you like. It adds extra flavour and some crunch to your soup.
This soup will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes to see you through the colder months? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/rating below. I love hearing from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Super easy creamy celery and apple soup
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 large head celery roughly chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- yogurt or cream to serve
- bacon or pancetta to serve
- Toss the onion into a large pan with the olive oil and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes till translucent but do not brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the celery, apple, thyme and potato and the stock and seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup in the pan or carefully transfer to a blender.
- Serve with a spoonful of Greek yogurt or cream and a few pieces of grilled and crumbled bacon or pancetta and a few celery leaves.
PIN ME FOR LATER