Soup is my go-to for lunch or a quick and easy supper. This celery and apple soup is a great way to use up bits and pieces from the fridge (and fruit bowl) and tastes amazing.
Celery and Apple Soup
Celery and Apple Soup is comfort food that is perfect both as that solo hug in a mug or to serve when you have friends round for supper. It is what I served the other night when a pal came round for a girl’s night and it went down a treat.
This was a case of having to come up with a last minute recipe as we hadn’t planned this get-together. I had celery in the fridge so just had to use that as my base. A look round at the fruit bowl and I sighted an apple. Well the two go together well in a Waldorf Salad so why not in a soup. So that’s how my Celery and Apple Soup came about.
Necessity is the mother of invention and all that……
I’ve used two cloves of garlic for this soup as with the celery and apple you really want to add some punchy flavour. Throw in some thyme too to bring out the other flavours and make this soup sing.
I’ve finished off my celery and apple soup with some baked pancetta, you could use bacon if you like. It adds extra flavour and some crunch to your soup.
Looking for more soupy ideas? Then check out my Easy Soup Recipes for more spoonable inspiration.
Celery & Apple Soup
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 large head celery roughly chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- yogurt or cream to serve
- bacon or pancetta to serve
- Toss the onion into a large pan with the olive oil and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes till translucent but do not brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the celery, apple, thyme and potato and the stock and seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup in the pan or carefully transfer to a blender.
- Serve with a spoonful of Greek yogurt or cream and a few pieces of grilled and crumbled bacon or pancetta and a few celery leaves.
PIN ME FOR LATER