This watercress and spinach soup has all the taste of springtime with fresh watercress and the lovely young spinach leaves that are available just now. Vibrant and green it looks just as healthy as it is.
While it has springtime written all over it this watercress and spinach soup is rich and creamy too. It is a meal in itself with some bread on the side.
This is a healthy soup as watercress and spinach are packed with nutrients.
Ingredients for watercress and spinach soup
Well, there is watercress and spinach of course but to add a bit of body I have used half of a medium-sized sweet potato which doesn’t have the carb content of a normal potato.
There is also celery, a small onion, garlic and vegetable stock.
You will need a bit of olive oil to start your cooking off and then some pumpkin and sunflower seeds to finish things off completely and add that lovely bit of crunch as a topping and maybe even a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil as well.
Serving this soup
Like all soups this watercress and spinach soup makes the perfect lunch or as a starter at supper time. This recipe is for two portions of soup. To make more simply multiply the ingredients.
Hot or cold soup
You can serve this either hot or chilled. If serving chilled then it is best to serve is smaller portions in little glasses or bowls as chilled soups always seem more filling somehow and a little goes a long way.
You can keep this soup in the fridge for up to 4 days and it will freeze for up to 6 months. I like to freeze my soups in freezer-proof bags on a tray and once frozen line them up like files so they take up less valuable freezer space.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below, I love to hear from you. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Super healthy watercress and spinach soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 stick celery chopped finely
- 1/2 medium sweet potato
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 100 g watercress
- 100 g spinach
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and celery for 3 minutes before adding the sweet potato for 3 minutes then the garlic for a further 2 minutes
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the watercress and spinach and cook for a further 4 minutes
- Remove from heat and blitz with a hand held blender
- Toast the nuts in a dry pan for 1 minute till they emit their nutty aroma
- Top soup in bowls with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the toasted seeds
PIN ME FOR LATER