Rich and aromatic, moist and succulent, this Greek-style roast chicken has it all, including coffee to bring out the most amazing flavours.
Roast chicken with coffee? I can already see the quizzical expression on your faces at the last word there, coffee. Who the hell cooks chicken with coffee? I do. It adds flavour and aids in that all-important moistness of the bird.
This recipe calls for Greek coffee which you have to strain carefully before adding to the marinade because you don’t want to get any of the coffee grounds in there. Instead of Greek coffee I have also used instant espresso coffee or just a strong filter coffee instead.
For anyone who hasn’t tasted it Greek coffee is possibly something of a challenge. It is strong stuff and you would be forgiven for thinking a teaspoon could stand up in it without any other form of support.
It is not for the faint-hearted or those who suffer from caffeine rush and get the jitters. It is made in tiny copper pots and served in little espresso-type cups, believe me you wouldn’t want a mug of this stuff.
Marinate the chicken
This is a great recipe as all you really have to do is prepare your marinade the day before and ladle it into a roasting bag, flatten the chicken and chuck it in there, seal the bag and massage the chicken in the marinade.
This means you don’t get the marinade all over your hands which for me is a win-win situation. Pop the whole thing in the fridge and leave it there overnight for the flavours to seep into the chicken and come together properly.
Next day pierce a few holes in top of the bag before placing on an oven tray with some water in the bottom (keep this topped up during the roasting) and that’s it really.
The juices etc in the bag can quickly be stirred up and strained if you like to form a sauce.
The Greek roast chicken with coffee is perfect for Sunday lunch.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Greek-style roast chicken with Greek coffee
- roasting bag or use an oven tray and cover with foil
- 1 large chicken free range
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Juice and zest 1 orange
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 120 ml Greek coffee strained or espresso coffee
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 100 ml sweet desert wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small onion minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Prepare the chicken the day before so that all the flavours can blend together
- Cut chicken along the breast and flatten it out on a chopping board
- Season well with salt and pepper on both sides
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and stir well
- Place the chicken in the roasting bag and pour in the marinade
- Massage well and then place in the fridge overnight
- Seal the bag and pierce on top 4 times to allow steam to escape
- Place bag on a roasting tin and pour water into tray so there is 1” (always make sure there is water in the tray during cooking
- Roast for 1 ½ hours
- Remove from oven and bag and reserve the juices and marinade
- Put these in a pan and simmer to form a sauce, pour over chicken and serve