This baked/roasted banana ice-cream is just packed with the most amazing flavour. Baking the bananas makes them even sweeter and more delicious than ever.
Ice-cream seems to be my thing at the moment. I’m madly using all the cheap fruit I can get my hands on, so it’s ice-creams, sorbets and a larder full of jams and preserves just now.
Anyway on with the recipe. This is so yummy I defy you to be able to keep it in the freezer for more than a day. I made a litre and Idgy and I just gobbled it up, so seriously yummy!
Why bake the bananas?
Well, roasting those bananas with butter, spices and brown sugar really brings out their sweetness and flavour. So please do take this little extra step to make your baked banana ice-cream just perfect.
Ingredients for baked banana ice-cream
- Bananas of course. Make sure these are ripe, you don’t want to use hard green banans for this ice-cream recipe. Yellow bananas with a few brown spots to show they are ripe and packed with flavour and sweetness.
- The spices of cinnamon and nutmeg really bring a new dimension to the bananas when baking them and then vanilla too is added later
- Sugar, this is ice-cream after all!
- Milk – I just used standard whole milk for this ice-cream
How to make baked banana ice-cream
Baking the bananas with some brown sugar and the spices really brings out their flavour. You want to bake them till they are soft and tender and all sort of caramel-like with the brown sugar.
Then it is simply a case of whizzing the cooled baked bananas with all the other ingredients in your food processor.
Chill well in the fridge then churn in an ice-crream maker.
I served my baked banana ice-cream with melted chocolate on top. After All one can never have enough choccie!
Why not go double-banana and used your baked banana ice-cream as part of a mega banan split.
How long will this keep?
Your baked banana ice-cream will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Looking for more delicious homemade ice-cream recipes to try? Then check these out before you go;
Finally, if you do try this recipe don’t forget to leave a comment/star rating below as I just love to hear from readers. Want more Larder Love? Then follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter and sign up for my newsletter too of course.
Baked Banana Ice-Cream
- 3 bananas you want very ripe bananas
- 70 g light brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp butter unslted
- 375 ml milk
- 2 rbsp sugar granulated is fine here
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Peel and chop the bananas and put them into a shallow baking dish, add the butter on top in tiny pieces so it is well distributed. Shake on the spices and brown sugar and bake for approximately 30 minutes till soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Whizz cooled baked bananas in food processor and add all other ingredients.
- Chill mixture in fridge for about an hour before churning in an ice-cream maker then popping into the freezer.