I love banana ice-cream. But how can you improve on something you like already? Well by baking it of course. Not the ice-cream, the bananas that go into it!
Ice Cream seems to be my Thing at the moment. I’m madly using all the cheap fruit I can get my hands on, so it’s ice-creams, sorbets and a larder full of jams and preserves just now.
Anyway on with the recipe. This is so yummy I defy you to be able to keep it in the freezer for more than a day. I made a litre and Idgy and I just gobbled it up, so seriously yummy!
Why bake the bananas?
Well, baking those bananas really brings out their sweetness and flavour. So please do take this little extra step to make your baked banana ice-cream just perfect.
Ingredients for baked banana ice-cream
- 3 ripe bananas
- 70g light brown sugar
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 375ml/ 12fl oz milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated is fine here)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of half a fresh squeezed lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon course sea salt
How to make baked banana ice-cream
- Preheat your oven.
- Peel and chop the bananas and put them into a shallow baking dish, add the butter on top in tiny pieces so it is well distributed. Shake on the spices and brown sugar. Baking the bananas with the sugar, butter and spices creates the most glorious syrupy goo that really ramps up the flavour of them
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, you just want the bananas to be all soft and gooey and caramelized.
- Let them cool for a while before zapping in the food processor, now add in the milk, white sugar, salt, lemon juice (this stops the ice cream from discolouring) and vanilla extract. Zap again to combine everything.
- Chill in the fridge for about 2 hours before churning in ice cream maker and then freezing.
I served mine with melted chocolate on top. After All one can never have enough choccie!
If you are looking for more ice-cream and sweet treat ideas, then head over to my Delightful Desserts collection for loads of the sweetest inspiration.
PIN ME FOR LATER