Strawberry and basil ice-cream, just means summer! It’s the end of June and here in the UK that means Wimbledon and tennis (yeah Go Andy Go!!!) and of course strawberries and cream. Wimbledon and strawberries are just synonymous with each other rather like bat and ball, though in this case that should be racquet and ball.
I adore those luscious British strawberries that pack the shops at this time of year, they are oh so much better than the tasteless watery rubbish we are fobbed off with the rest of the year and so worth waiting for. I have decided to morph my strawberries and cream into this wonderful strawberry and basil ice-cream, the perfect treat for a summers day wherever you are.
I like my ice-cream to be full of flavour and to this end I tend to chuck in all sorts of extra ingredients, sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t. I have made a few ice-cream cock-ups in my time (Idgy will never let me forget the dreadful banana and peanut that went horribly wrong and we nearly broke our teeth on it) but no matter how mad my mixes are we always give it a go.
Full of flavour
This strawberry and basil ice-cream is one of our favourites. Combining basil with strawberries is a great mix and with the addition of some freshly ground black pepper just makes those berries sing!
The other special ingredient here is the addition of a spoonful of Grande Marnier liqueur. The rich orange flavour just lifts everything to a new level of dessert decadence that leaves mere strawberries and cream well and truly in the shade.
A sweet treat
The base for my strawberry and basil ice-cream is made up of the usual double cream and that old Scottish favourite found in so many of our sweets and desserts – condensed milk. Oh the sugar I hear you cry, oh the calories you sob. Get over it, this is luxury ice-cream and should be eaten as a treat, so don’t get your knickers in a twist about it’s sweetness and just enjoy this delightful dessert in the summer sunshine and worry about the health police afterwords.
Go on, you know you want to…….
Strawberry And Basil Ice-Cream
- 225 g/8 oz fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 405 g/14 oz can of condensed milk
- 6 basil leaves bruised by not chopped
- large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Grande Marnier or other orange liqueur optional
- 250 ml/8 fl oz double heavy cream
- Rinse and hull the strawberries and chop into small pieces
- Add the lemon juice and condensed milk and whazz in food processor till you get a creamy puree
- Add the black pepper, Grande Marnier and basil leaves and set aside in the fridge for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight) to allow the flavours to develop.
- Remove from fridge and discard the basil leaves.
- Whip the cream to sorft peaks and stir this into the mixture.
- Ladle into an ice-cream maker and process.
- Pop the ice-cream into the freezer to firm up before serving.