When you think of relishes and chutney you tend to think of veggies and savoury flavours, well my strawberry and raspberry relish brings a whole new dimension to the relish department, sweet and savoury and delicious!
Don’t worry this isn’t just strawberries and raspberries thrown together with a bit of vinegar, oh no I’ve added some spice for heat and herbs for extra flavour. There is black pepper, ginger and chilli in there and basil as well.
Try this strawberry and raspberry relish on chicken sandwiches, alongside a cheeseboard or with cold meats. It has that wonderful sweet and sour combination that when combined with the punch of spices really makes your taste buds dance.
It is so easy to make this strawberry and raspberry relish, you just boil up all your ingredients (apart from the basil you add that at the end just before potting up) for about an hour, stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and ladle into sterilised jars. I even have a page on how to make chutney and relish to help you along if you get stuck.
Add this relish to your store cupboard and it will jazz up your dishes in the winter when summer seems like a memory.
- 350g strawberries
- 350g raspberries
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 160g granulated sugar
- 300ml raspberry or white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- Big pinch of dried ginger powder
- Big pinch of ground dried chilli
- Pinch of salt
- 10 basil leaves minced
- Cook everything (apart from the basil leaves) on a high heat at a rolling boil for 1 hour
- Add basil for last 10 mins
- Ladle into sterilised jars (makes 3 small jars) keeps for 2 years