Strawberry, sage and red wine jam is definitely one for the grown-ups. This is not your sickly sweet confection that the kids would splatter all over sandwiches and toast, oh no this mixes sweet with savoury and just a touch of boozy fun. The perfect preserve really!
While I love jam and strawberry jam in particular when we have loads of those goegeous berries in the garden in the summer, I do get tired of plain old strawberry jam which is why I have made a few different varieties of strawberry jam over the years on this blog; Italian Inspired Strawberry Jam , Strawberry Gin Jam, Strawberry And Tomato Jam, Strawberry And Elderflower Jam, and Strawberry And Chilli Vodka Jam
So this is another one for us grown-ups and this time I’ve gone for a bit of earthiness with the flavour of sage to counteract the sweetness of the strawberries and of course the red wine is just an added bonus I couldn’t resist.
While you can have this on your toast for a decadent breakfast treat it goes well on a cheeseboard and is good gently warmed with a little more wine added to loosen it up and spooned over the very finest vanilla ice-cream for the perfect dessert.
Remember to check out my jam making page for knowing your setting point and my notes on sterilising jars correctly.
STRAWBERRY, SAGE AND RED WINE JAM
- 425 g/15 oz strawberries
- 425 g/15 oz jam sugar
- 150 ml5 fl oz red wine
- 2 sage leaves finely chopped
- juice and zest of half lemon
- Hull the strawberries and cut in half
- Heat the strawberries with sugar until it has completely dissolved
- Add the red wineand lemon juice and zest
- Bring to the boil until setting point has been reached
- Add the chopped sage leaves and stir well
- Ladle into sterilised jars and pop on the lids