This dairy free and sugar free coconut and almond ice-cream is the perfect summer dessert for those who just can’t go the whole milk/cream route, are cutting back on refined sugar but still want their fix of summer time ice-cream. It is so tasty even those who aren’t on any sort of food restriction will love it.
Your flavour here in this dairy free coconut and almond ice-cream lies in the toasting of the coconut and flaked almonds. This brings out their flavour and gives this ice-cream it’s delightfully nutty flavour.
There is no refined sugar in this recipe, the sweetness comes from the medjool dates and banana with a bit of sweetness from the coconut milk.
Adding in the spiciness of cinnamon and vanilla and a pinch of sea salt really ramps up those flavours and makes this a delightful summer tiime treat that is not too naughty at all!
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- 1 banana
- 2 medjool dates chopped
- 400ml/14 fl oz tin coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- Toast the coconut in a dry pan until just turning golden and no more, immediately tip out of pan on to a plate
- Toast the flaked almonds until just turning golden and aromatic, tip out immediately and add to the toasted coconut
- Blitz the banana and dates in a food processor and add all other ingredients and blitz again
- Tip into a pan and simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from pan and chill in the fridge for 1 hour
- Use an ice-cream maker to finish the recipe and then freeze